1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy football

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

We keep four players. My choices are between: Rodgers and Brady at QB; Ball, Bernard and Chris Johnson at RB; Allen, Cobb, Cruz and Sanders at WR.

Keeping Rodgers for sure. I'd like to keep Allen and Cobb. That leaves one of Brady, Ball and Bernard. Thoughts?

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

If you keep them without penalty, I'd throw back one of the receivers (I have them ranked right around the same spot, but would probably keep Cobb if you put a gun to my head) and keep Ball and Bernard.

If there are draft pick considerations, that changes things.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Rodgers, Allen, Ball, Bernard

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

The choice between Allen and Cobb is tough, but you have to keep both Ball and Bernard (and Rodgers obviously...)

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't think I'd like auction. Then again, I've been doing it the other way so long ...

I know a mistake I make a lot of times is giving too much credence to players we're only going to cart out their on our starters' bye weeks. Get your starting positions covered, and then just be sure your bye weeks match up OK.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Hmmmnnnn...I appreciate the feedback. Keep both backs, eh?

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Unless it's a 2-QB league, yeah. If I'm understanding your setup correctly, you'd be best off just keeping your four highest-rated players. From most rankings I've seen, that's Rodgers, the running backs and one of the receivers (who are pretty close together).

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've been in an auction league for the last few years. I do enjoy it, but they can take forever, especially toward the end. So this year, we're doing the draft online, although most people will still show up in person. It's going to take a tad of the fun from it because everyone will be buried in their laptops the whole time, but it'll cut the time down significantly.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

We do our draft online now, especially since the league members have gotten scattered through the years. There's usually no more than a sportswriter or two in the newsroom at any one time anymore.

But I do miss having everyone sitting around the department acting like general managers in the war room.

10. RecoveringJournalist

I almost miss the days of doing drafts where there would be a couple people who would go directly off the magazine lists and they wouldn't be aware of the latest injuries or transactions.

I remember one person drafting Barry Foster in the first five rounds or so and he had been cut a couple days earlier.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Some of our league members feared switching to auction for precisely the reason who gave, Sonner. But it ended up taking about 2:10, which is about the length of an average snake draft.

12. RecoveringJournalist

I've done ones that take over four hours, but if you do it by computer, it speeds it up considerably.

Draft saved Draft deleted