1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy football

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Did an auction draft Sunday. Targeted Forte and got him for $54, which I thought was a great price, considering SI's guide had him going for $58. Stayed away from paying for a quarterback. It's a PPR league, so I'm happy with my Forte/Vereen starting combo at RB. Vereen would be worthless without the PPR, though.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

An interesting strategy that some have mentioned is, if you don't have a shot at a top 5 RB, get two elite receivers (or Graham) and then pick from the leftovers in the third and fourth round.

I tried this in an ESPN mock draft and picking 10th, I took D. Thomas in the first round, Green in the second and then got Bush and Ellington. I took Crabtree in the fifth and then went with Richardson, Woodhead (PPR league) and Sankey. I took Matt Ryan in the 9th.

Last year, I was picking 11th in my main league and I went Richardson and Steven Jackson with my first two picks. Needless to say, that did not work out too well for me.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm in a strange position, I think, with my wideout set. I have VJackson/Tate/Bowe/Boldin/RWoods. (We have four wideouts, plus a flex player in a 16-man roster.)

Not a WR1 in the bunch, unless you give VJackson the benefit of some doubt. But I don't know if there's one there that I would let go at this point to get snatched up by someone else. Not to go from an eighth-round pick to a seventh-round pick.

I'm keeping my QBs, Ryan/Dalton. Pretty much the same thinking.

Keeping Lacy/Bell, which I think makes a pretty solid backfield anywhere. Keeping Woodhead. Letting go of BJacobs.

Keeping AGates. Letting go of JFinley.

Keeping Hauschka (again, why let go of a guy you'll run out there 15 times). Letting go of Henery.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That's what I did last year. I think I was 11th as well and got Megatron and Jimmy Graham as my first two picks. RB was a struggle all year. Ended up with Richardson and David Wilson (!) as my starters. Somehow made it to a four-team playoff. Pretty much rode Rashad Jennings at the end, along with a mix of other fill-ins. But my receivers were so good I was able to hang in there.

5. RecoveringJournalist

Just did a mock on ESPN picking 5th...

1. Lacy
    2. Nelson
    3. Bush
    4. White
    5. Gerhart
    6. Kaepernick
    7. Woodhead
    8. Boldin
    9. Cooper
    10. Steve Smith
    11. Rivers
    12. Rudolph
    13. Stevie Johnson
    14. Walsh
    15. Saints
    16. Alex Smith (taken for me, I was on autopilot. I was trying to get Manziel with my last pick, but he went the pick before me.

I was surprised that in the second round that Nelson was the best WR available. I assumed I would get Bryant or Marshall.

I'm trying to get Ryan, Kaepernick, Romo or Rivers as my QBs because of value. In most of the mocks I've done I get two of the four and I haven't taken a QB higher than the sixth round.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

After doing the auction draft this year, I don't think I want to go back to snake. It was a ton of fun.

7. RecoveringJournalist

Auctions are a lot of fun. The first time I did it, one of the other guys just sat back for the first couple rounds of the draft and didn't bid once. Then, after we were all out of money, he cleaned up and destroyed all of us.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Auctions are way more fun. I've gone almost exclusively auction on baseball and football (except a couple leagues I've been in for a while).

9. RecoveringJournalist

Doing one right now:

It's amazing to see Aaron Rodgers go for $45 and then I'm able to get Matt Ryan for $4.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got RGIII for $5, Brady for $13. Someone in our league paid $32 for Julius Thomas. Very skewed.

11. RecoveringJournalist

Russell Wilson just went for $1.

Where I fuck up in the auctions is I always wind up with a player I don't want by trying to bid up the price.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Speaking of Jennings, he's a key player in that situation this year. Late in the first round, there are too many elite pass-catchers and QBs to justify reaching for a RB. Of course, then you're left with little margin for error at that position. If I find myself there, I'm looking at Jennings and Gerhart as viable options. Otherwise, I'll have to get really lucky later on.

Draft saved Draft deleted