1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy football

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Aug 9, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Graham might be safer than Megatron, but I don't think another WR is close to Megatron. Denver has enough good receivers that it's easy to see production getting spread around a bit.

Megatron had several games where his production was really low. Of course, in the other games, he was a beast, but that's the case with quite a few of the top-rated receivers. Green was probably the most consistent of the top receivers, but he only had one monster game.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Thomas has 7 more TDs in the past two seasons. He outscored Johnson 14-12 last year with Eric Decker stealing TDs. Thomas has LESS compétition this year.

3. RecoveringJournalist

Disagree. Julius Thomas is more established. Welker is still there. Decker is gone, but Emmanuel Sanders should be a more consistent threat than Decker.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And Johnson has nearly 600 more yards over the same time frame. Take either one of them with your first pick and you'll be fine at WR1.

5. Mr. Sunshine

What makes you think Sanders will be a more consistent threat? He never has been. He'll probably outproduce Decker because Decker has no QB this year, but no way he comes close to Decker's production from the past two seasons.

And the flip side to less competition is more double-teams. Johnson's ceiling is higher, but his floor is lower because, as I alluded to, his QB is much more inconsistent. Johnson's TDs require a higher degree of difficulty because Stafford is prone to bad decisions and drive-killing picks, whereas Manning runs that offense so efficiently that he won't force throws. He'll keep the offense on the field, thus Thomas will get more opportunities for easier scores.

If I have 10 chances to take the first WR, I'll take Megatron 8 times. But the difference between them is not enough that taking Thomas instead should be an argument. Can't go wrong with either.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I'd rather have Bell, Murray or Morris over Ball until he shows me something.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

As an owner of Demariyus Thomas the last two years (keeper league), I'll vouch for him. He's a beast, and more importantly he's a pretty consistent beast. Over the last two seasons, Thomas has scored a touchdown in 19 of 32 games. Megatron has scored one in 13 of 32 games.
    Megatron had four awful games last season (five receptions or less, and/or 60 yards or less, with no touchdowns). Thomas had three.
    I think Megatron's highs are higher, but Thomas is more likely to get you seven catches, 100 yards and a touchdown from week to week.

8. RecoveringJournalist

Decker was hit or miss last season. He had 10 games where he didn't score 10 points (ESPN scoring). I think with Manning at the helm, Sanders will have a very big year.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I'd love to have Matt Forte fall into my lap the way he did last year (third pick in the second round). Quite possibly the single most underrated player in fantasy football.

10. Mr. Sunshine

He might fall to the latter half of the first round.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'm in a number of different leagues. Most for $$, but a few for fun.

One that I am in mixes pro wrestling-type storylines with our play. Not everyone does it...but the few guys that do it, do it well (OK, maybe not well...but it's humorous).
    We've had:
    - the playboy coach get in a tiff with the wanna-be thug rapper/actor.
    - a running joke about Ron Dayne
    - numerous sponsors having inappropriate sponsorships.
    - a coach that holds press conferences in front of no one, and he posts the "transcripts"
    - the playboy coach had a "coming to God" experience and tried to "save" the souls of his opponents.

And for proof of this craziness: I present to you...coach Young.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVtIJ7Cv9yY&list=UUeSrtdT0ZJur4nBA61iyDjQ

I am sad to find out today that my longtime college fantasy league is not going to happen this year. I think that league started in the mid-90s and I joined more than a decade ago. Sucks, but I guess we are all in the same boat...kids under the age of 5 and we mostly all work nights and weekends, so no one wants to be commish.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Our ex-sports editor has an alter ego named Buzz Long who coaches and GMs his fantasy team.

Draft saved Draft deleted