1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy football

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Aug 9, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

My league mates groan now and laugh at me when somebody takes the first PK in the 14th round. ;)

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

We run a keeper league; your keeper has to be drafted by you the previous year in the eighth round or later and on your roster all of the season. Last year, I took Josh Gordon in the eighth. Felt really good about it until a few months ago.
    My only strategy is draft guys I like to watch. I stay with steady players and tend to avoid risky guys. I miss out on a lot of prospects, but I do just good enough to get to the playoffs and win at least one of my leagues every year.
    This year I'm going big on Brady and Gronk, then praying they stay healthy.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Gronkowski is the définition of a risky guy.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Having said that, if the Patriots can get 12 games out of Gronk, Brady will be a steal where he's rated this year.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Hell, I'll throw out a keeper question. Lacy for a 4 or Gronk for a 6?

6. Mr. Sunshine

I always err on the side of not counting on guys with significant injury histories.

Lacy.

There is some uncertainty there, especially in light of the across-the-board slumps the top second-year RBs had in 2013 (Morris fell back and Richardson and Martin were busts). However, in that offense, Lacy should thrive.

He's being drafted in the top half of the first round in most drafts, so you're also getting better value with him than Gronk.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I've done a few mocks on ESPN to get a sense of where people are being taken. Lynch and Foster are two that seem to be slipping a lot, sometimes into the middle of the second round.

All of the drafts I've seen have the same five running backs gone no later than pick No. 7. Megatron and Peyton Manning are the only other players who have been taken that high.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No idea when he should be drafted, but is it weird that I'm looking forward to playing fantasy football this year just so I can get Brandin Cooks on my team?
    I'll probably draft him at least three rounds too early under the "make sure you get him" theory.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Taking Graham out of the equation, drafting a Saints receiver is almost as frustrating as drafting a Saints running back. Brees doesn't discriminate enough.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well ... that depends on whether he qualifies as a WR. A lot of leagues have the TE position, and he's gold there.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Very true, but they seem like they'll use Cooks in a "Super Sproles" role. He also seems like a guy who's going to turn a lot of hitch routes and bubble screens into long gains. From what I've seen and read, the guy is ridiculously quick and shifty.

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think Cooks is going to have a better rookie season than Watkins.

Draft saved Draft deleted