1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy football

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I failed this year in both leagues. My big money league I made the playoffs and had a good week, but was just simply outplayed.
    In the league I manage I did not even make the playoffs. I was crippled with injuries and AP No. 1 overall. My friend who usually whines about well everything fantasy related won.
    Week one lineup:
    Matt Ryan
    Adrian Peterson
    Rashard Jennings
    Brandon Marshall
    Victor Cruz
    Julius Thomas
    Pierre Garcon
    Cardinals
    Robbie Gould
    Bench
    Andre Ellington
    Toby Gerhart
    DeAngelo Williams
    Rivers
    Zach Ertz
    Riley Cooper
    Justin Hunter
    159 points. PPR

Last week
    Matt Ryan
    Donald Brown
    Pierre Thomas
    Martavis Bryant
    OBJ
    Antonio Gates
    Julius Thomas
    Rams
    Dan Carpenter
    Rivers
    Eli Manning
    Ryan Mathews
    Jordan Matthews
    Andre Ellington
    Cardinals
    Rashard Jennings

edit:
    Going into next year and if I keep it PPR (probably will), will most likely focus on WR, but still my downfall was probably a reliable No. 1 back and well, second guessing EVERYTHING. Ellington was steady for most of the season, but once Carson went down, so did his productivity I feel.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Running backs are always a crapshoot these days. Who would have thought Murray and Bell would be the top two guys heading into 2015?

Only 13 backs surpassed 1,000 yards, and many of those barely did it. Guys like Forsett and Miller may never do it again, and someone like Gore had his two best games at the end of the season and was pretty useless most of the year. Then you have Jeremy Hill, who looked great for half a season, but how will he be used when Bernard is healthy? And Alfred Morris, who gained 1,000 yards for the third-straight season despite his coach underutilizing him most weeks. McCoy actually finished third in the NFL in rushing and you could argue he was the biggest bust in fantasy this year.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It was interesting that the two guys who every fantasy expert out there told you to avoid (Lynch and Foster) both had pretty damn good years.

I took Montee Ball the pick before LeVeon Bell went. Oops. Fortunately, I dealt Ball pretty quickly and actually got decent value in return right before he got injured.

Of all of the busts this season, McCoy was probably the most difficult to understand. How much of it was Sproles taking away carries? If I'd had the first pick, I'd have taken McCoy or Charles.

My biggest fuck-up was taking Vereen in the fourth round, which most people at the time thought was a steal. I will never take a Belichick RB in the first five rounds ever again. I also bought in on Cordarrelle Patterson. The guy picking after me flipped out when I took Cordarrelle and then he drafted Emmanuel Sanders. I'm convinced AP's suspension was what fucked up things for him and then things spiraled from there.

I don't think you should second-guess yourself for a player getting injured unless a player has a history of getting injured.

This year, most people would have been better off taking receivers and their QB in the first four rounds and then loading up on running back and hoping someone sticks.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm getting closer and closer to going zero RB next year. Granted, in my main league, that will be easy because I have a starter with a 10th-round value (Tre Mason), but with the usual carnage at the position, I think it's just good strategy.

5. RecoveringJournalist

Well, if you took Forte or Murray with your first pick, you probably did pretty well. I'm guessing Bell was a second-rounder in most leagues. If you took McCoy, AP, Ball, Bernard, Martin, Morris in the first two rounds, probably not so much. Guys who took Lacy, Charles, Lynch and Foster did OK.

6. RecoveringJournalist

So, if you have the No. 1 pick in next year's draft, who do you take?

I think it would have to be Bell or Murray and I'd probably lean toward Bell.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'd still take Bell at 1-1. Isn't Murray a free agent?

8. Mr. Sunshine

Two red flags for Murray: Free agency, as mentioned. If he leaves Dallas, he almost certainly ends up behind a lesser O-line. Then there's his injury history. He finally made it through 16 games, but he still got hurt for the 47th season in a row. My conservative self would feel much better taking Bell, especially in a PPR league.

9. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, Murray's stock goes into the tank if he leaves Dallas. It's hard to imagine they let this happen. I would think they would tag him if necessary. He's still 26, so it's not like he's at the age where everyone is just waiting for him to hit the wall.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I had the 4th pick in an ESPN league. Autodrafted. Got :

Charles
    Murray
    Bryant
    R Bush
    Fitzgerald
    DeSean Jackson
    RG3
    Joique Bell
    Wayne
    Mike Wallace
    DeAngelo Williams
    Chris Ivory
    Steve Smith Sr
    Chiefs D/ST
    Vinatieri
    Clay

Logged in on Aug 29th, nine days after the draft, found Aaron Rodgers on the waiver wire. Put in a successful claim, went 11-2 in the regular season and won the playoffs sweating out Murray's hand injury.

Weird year. Really had mixed feelings over the Rodgers pick up, but the league manager didn't follow the up droppable list, and the owner dropped him based on the week 1 scoring projection.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Sounds like a terrible league.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The guy dropped Rodgers and picked up Andy Dalton.

It's an ad hoc league of people who met playing ESPN games, combined with some of the league manager's family. Usually fairly competitive. Not necessarily smart though.

Draft saved Draft deleted