1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy football

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I care about your team.

Anyone draft yet?

Just finished one because an impending pregnancy (not mine) might screw up our traditional draft weekends. Kids these days.

Anyway, a good discussion of fantasy football is a great way to annoy humorless people.

Go ...

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I used to draft rb rb qb but no more. Considering qb rb wr this year, depending on draft order. If a real early pick, might go rb qb wr.

And the rise of snagging a top te is a big factor too.

Tend to draft def/st and k last.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Recent draft was my first time in a 2-QB league. Really changes up the draft order. Took Brees No. 1 overall. Ryan in the third.

In a traditional league, unless you get Brees, Rodgers or Manning, there's enough QB depth to wait. Also, the WR/TE depth is ridiculous, allowing you to either load up early on big names (especially if you draft near the end of the first round) or wait and still grab a pair of quality pass-catchers. Other than the Big Four, RBs a total crapshoot as usual.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Last year, I picked 10th in a 12-team league. I figured my best approach was to take the best athlete available, which when it came around to me I judged to be A.J. Green.

I also got real lucky with my QBs. I took Russell Wilson with my third pick, then when it came around to my comeback pick in the sixth round, I noticed that Tony Romo was still out there, so I snapped him up. I also lucked into Josh Gordon in a late round, and he was gold.

As for PKs and defenses, I generally try to get a pretty good defense around the ninth or 10th round, and a decent kicker about Round 12-13. Last year, I was able to land the Bears first and the Broncos later.

I must have done something right, because I won the league.

5. Mr. Sunshine

I took a flier on Gordon late in the aforementioned draft. Could be a great addition in Week 9, assuming I don't fall apart early.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

In my 14-franchise keeper league, RBs are at a real premium. Too many people keeping anybody worth a damn. I think last year, the highest-rated RB available was No. 34 on my list.

Think we have to consider allowing people to only keep one at a position.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Given how pass-happy the game is these days, there are so few good RBs that I imagine that's a problem in a lot of keeper leagues. Limiting keepers to one per position is a good idea.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yes, and what you wind up doing if you have spots to fill is banking on rookies. And that's seldom a good idea.

Quick story, unrelated.

This league started, I think, in 1987. We got a late start and did our drafting after the first week. Nick Lowery kicked five field goals, three of distance, that opening weekend. We were all fantasy rookies; after all, the genre was in its infancy.

So, of course, I drafted Nick Lowery with the No. 1 pick.

I'm still living that one down, believe it or not.

9. Mr. Sunshine

10. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

The Jacksonville Jaguars see that as sound draft strategy

11. Mr. Sunshine

Drafting a punter in the first round worked for the Raiders.

On a related note, the NFLN show on Ray Guy is pretty good.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not quite that bad, but someone in our league once drafted Jericho Cotchery with the fourth overall pick.
    I think it was 2008. Whatever Favre's year with the Jets was. We thought he was joking and tried to talk him out of it. He was not joking. On a related note, he also did not win the league.

Draft saved Draft deleted