1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy football playoff tie??

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Dec 19, 2006.

1. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

We use total bench points in one league. Yahoo uses most TDs scored by starting lineup.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The problem with that, is that it determines a winner by blind luck, rather than skill.

Tallying the total score of the bench players is just as just because the person did decide who to start and who to bench

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Death match

4. Hooray4snail

Hooray4snail Active Member

I had that happen once and it was decided that the only fair thing to do was to have a threesome. Usually not a bad idea, but in this case it was slightly less satisfying.

Both teams played the winner's scheduled opponent in the next round. I think the two teams that tied both lost anyway so major fireworks were avoided.

Now we make playoff teams submit three bench players whose points are totaled to break the tie.

5. BaysideTiger

BaysideTiger Member

Higher seed going into playoffs. Rewards team for having better regular season.

6. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

We had this happen a few years ago and this is how I solved it.
    Pick team with higher points to move on, but link them to team they tied with. This week, if team 1 wins, but team 2 would not have won had they moved on -- team one collects all of prize or moves on alone.
    If team 1 wins and team 2 would have won, they split winnings evenly or move on and stay linked.
    If team 1 gets money even for losing, team 1 gets it all if it outscores team 2. If team 2 outscores team 1 in losing situation, they split the winnings.
    If team 2 would have won the whole shabang without team 1 and there is no payout for losing, well that is just tough shit.
    If team 1 loses and team 2 would have won, team 2 moves on ahead of team 1's foe.

So basically, the team these two would play has to beat them both to move on, but, hey, that is life.

7. donnie23

donnie23 Member

I actually just went through this in a Yahoo league. Quarterfinals, I'd led a head-to-head league for 10 weeks before flaming out to get the third seed. My first-round matchup ended in a 92-92 tie, and Yahoo uses total TDs scored in the matchup to determine a winner. I lost by a 6-5 score.

Honestly, while fair, the TD thing seems arbitrary. I had been carried all year by the Baltimore defense, and it almost seemed like I was being penalized for how I chose to construct my team. Whatever ... I just wouldn't use the Yahoo method if I were you.

Draft saved Draft deleted