1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy football: How much is luck?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Some luck, some good roster management. I had horseshit luck in my money league. Got the 11th pick in a 12-team snake draft (also picked 14th) and took Calvin Johnson 11th and Drew Brees 14th. Hated the running backs left in that range. Ended up with Daryl Richardson and David Wilson as my first two RBs, but plucked Ryan Mathews and Steven Jackson off the waiver wire later in the year when people gave up on them and they showed improvement. Also nabbed Andre Brown and Rashad Jennings.

The only players who I drafted that were on my semifinal starting lineup last week were Calvin and Drew. Welker was out, or I would have played him obviously. Mixed and matched defenses, kickers and flex guys all year. Got Jarrett Boykin and Julian Edelman during hot streaks, same with Jordan Reed. League is too competitive not to be a waiver wire hawk all year.

Of course, I ran into Charles last week. Would have beaten the other two semifinalists handily but I lost by 85 in a two-week playoff. His team was stacked. So that's bad luck.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Skill will keep you in the playoffs every year, but luck is needed to win in the playoffs.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

In PPR leagues, RBs are of little use unless you get one of the 6-7 RBs who actually put up numbers. You're better off spending high picks on point-producing QBs and WRs. I used that strategy, but I took it to the extreme, ending up with Darren McFadden and Montee Ball as my two best RBs in one league. And Julio Jones gave me very little, the asshole. I still somehow started out 7-1, but ended up 9-4 and lost in the first round of the playoffs. FFF.

4. 93Devil

12-team money league playing for the championship this weekend

Ryan, Cutler

Charles (you had to know he was going to be the man in this system, I got him 9th overall)
    Lacy

Green
    Fitz
    Wallace

Ram TE

14-team dynasty league (lost in the semis last week thanks to Gronk getting hurt and my benching Smith)

Kaep, Alex Smith

Bernard
    Stacy
    Vereen
    Jones-Drew

Gordon (this is a guy where skill pays off. He was very good last season and under the radar for a lot of people)
    Vincent Jackson
    Riley Cooper
    Blackmon

Graham
    Gronk

LBers
    Dansby (The Man)
    Wagner
    Alonzo
    Daryl Washington

5. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

12-team money league playing for the championship this weekend

My team:

QB: Peyton Manning
    RB: Adrian Peterson
    RB: Reggie Bush
    WR: Brian Hartline
    WR: Greg Jennings
    W/R: Jordan Todman
    TE: Jason Witten
    Kicker: Matt Prater
    Defense: New Orleans
    Defensive player: Von Miller

Advisory

QB: Tom Brady
    RB: Shane Vereen
    RB: Jamaal Charles
    WR: Antonio Brown
    WR: Brandon Marshall
    W/R: Andre Johnson
    TE: Dennis Pitta
    Kicker: Stephen Gostkowski
    Defense: San Francisco
    Defensive player: Daryl Smith

Hoping for a win.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

It's skill if you win, and luck (bad, of course) when you lose.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Got my money back, lost first round of playoffs with an all-rookie backfield. 12-team keeper league has been in operation since 1987.

QB: Ryan, Dalton.
    RB: LBell, Lacy, Woodhead, Jacobs, Powell
    WR: Bowe, VJackson, Boldin, Tate, RWoods, RCooper
    TE: Gates, JReed
    PK: Hauschka, Henery

Toughest thing about keeper leagues is that you don't have many money-making RBs on the board. If you have one, you keep him from year to year. So I guess I had a pretty good year targeting two impact rookies there. You can see I had no depth, though. You never knew whether Danny Woodhead would get you 20 points or 3.

Who to keep for next year? Hard to say. If you keep five guys, you may as well keep none. If you keep seven guys, you may as well keep them all. Nothing worse than coming in with the 13th, 14th pick of the night.

P.S. I am so glad we do not do anything with D/ST. I hate playing in leagues that use them.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I didn't know a league existed that didn't use D/ST.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'd be more in favor of getting rid of a kicker spot than a DEF/ST. So much of kickers are a total crapshoot.

10. 93Devil

I have found using waiver wire and picking up teams facing backup qbs is much better than sticking with one.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I do pretty much the same thing. I'll fill my entire bench at a draft before taking a kicker or defense. My old standby was to pick up whoever was playing the Cardinals that week. This season I've mostly picked up whoever's playing the Jets.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yup. I've never not drafted a kicker and a defense with my final two picks in the draft. I then rotate them throughout the season, especially defenses, which I change almost every week. Early in the season I picked up whoever was playing the Jaguars, if they were available. Later in the season, I switched to the team playing the Jets.

Draft saved Draft deleted