1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy football: How much is luck?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I always hear this, and to an extent it's true, but what's also true is that it depends on which RBs are available when you draft. Like all positions, there are tiers at RB. The top RB tier is a lot shallower than most positions, so it behooves you to grab a couple of good ones while you can. Not because they score a lot of points, but because they're so scarce.
    This year, especially, you could get a solid QB later on (in my main league I got Luck in Round 6 and Romo in Round 9, and both were Top 10 players overall) and plenty of solid receivers in the middle rounds. There were only about five top-shelf RBs, and if you were lucky enough to grab one early and another at the top of Round 2, and perhaps a top-of-tier-2 guy in the next round, it's not the worst strategy in the world. A trio of Peterson-Lynch-Forte is damned salty.
    If the first 15 picks in the draft are RBs, though, and you're choosing between Steven Jackson, Maurice Jones-Drew, Demariyus Thomas and Jimmy Graham in the middle of Round 2? Yeah, then you go receiver or quarterback.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Batman, fully agree with you. Especially if you have one of the first five picks.

Where I royally fucked up in nearly every league was picking Kaepernick AND RG3 in the fourth and fifth rounds thinking both would shine and I could trade one later.

I did this in most of my drafts. What a cluster fucking nightmare.

Luck? For those in the leagues against me, yes for them to have me as a bonehead with them.

For me, just painfully bad strategy this year.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Listening to what you all are saying, I'm thinking I probably should have tried to dump Ryan or Dalton to get a stud elsewhere and pick up a lesser QB for the sake of a bye week.

But then again, if the guy I keep goes down ...

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I tried to grab Nick Foles, but because it was Sunday night, they wouldn't let me have him (since he already played that weekend), and the next day, someone else got him. So I was "stuck" with Daulton.

The only real strategy I use is trying not to start a QB or K in a blizzard, trying to get a K playing at Mile High, and picking up defenses that play Oakland and Jacksonville.

Draft saved Draft deleted