1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy football - an idea (Second group needs an owner)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Aug 6, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

League ID#: 286476
    Password: fumble

New group open.

League ID: 345931
    password: winner
    full

Draft date: Aug. 29
    Draft time: 6 p.m. EDT

Once the league fills up, I have some volunteers to run the other leagues. Just keep looking at this page for updates.

Obviously, no one is allowed to have a team in multiple leagues. This will get you kicked out.

We are filling them up first come forst serve. The only way you will be left out is if you obviously just created a handle today to play in the league. If you have 50 posts over the course of a month, then obviously you have some standing here.

Please identify your team on this board. I really do not want to have a lurker on a google search jump into this league.

It would be helpful to have some type of email accountlisted. I created a93devil@yahoo.com just for fantasy sports purposes. The reason being, if for some reason you decide to ghost or nuke your handle, you can at least still play in the league. I think I can call this the Good Doctor clause.

Thanks again,

93D

I have sent an email announcement out to the people who played in the "SportsJournalists.com part II or III" league league I created last year to sign up again this year. The league went well, but I have a grander idea if we have enough on this board who are up for it.

What if we set up a fantasy football system that models the Premiership system?

In the first year of this, we take on as many people who want to play as possible. For example, if 36 people want in I can create three 12-man leagues. If 35 want in, two 12s and one 11-man league can be created. The numbers can be flexible so people will not be left out.

Once this year is played, the top 1/3rd from each league will be invited to play in an elite winners league in 2009. The middle 1/3rd of each league will form the AAA division, and the lowest 1/3rd of each division will create the AA division.

When we the 2009 season concludes, the bottom 1/3rd of the top division will be demoted to AAA, and the top 1/3rd of AAA will move up to the majors. This would follow all divisions.

When new people want to join in, they will be placed in the lowest division and be forced to move up through the years.

As I can see, the advantages of doing it this way are pretty significant.
    1. No one would be left out.
    2. The competitiveness of the bottom half of a given league would rival the upper half. No one would give up for fear of dropping a division.

Heck, we could even have a traveling trophy for the top division.

So any takers?

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Re: Fantasy football - an idea

That's a helluva idea.

But I'm not interested. Too many leagues as it is.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I might be interested if I didn't already sign up for a league.

When I play fantasy sports, I only do one team at a time. Can't deal with anything more than that.

4. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

I'm game for a new idea. Count me in.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'll take a stab at it.

6. 93Devil

Good.

I will keep this bumped for a few days to see how many people jump in, and then I will set up the leagues based on the number of responses.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm already signed up your returning league. If it goes that route, I'm in.

It seems like a lot of the fantasy football sports players on this site are already locked into existing leagues. I doubt any of them would go for it. They like the crews they have (which I get. I have baseball leagues that I've been in for many years that wouldn't want to leave, either).

8. 93Devil

I think I will move the SportsJournalists.com II or III league into this if there is enough interest.

I just remember a lot of people looking for leagues on here come football time. Maybe I am wrong and there will not be enough juice to get this started.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Could be. I remember a few forming at the last minute a year ago. I think you should include SportsJournalists.com II or III in it, at least to help get it off the ground. If you can even get two leagues to start, then expand next year, that might work.

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

That sounds awesome. I'd definitely join. What site do you use to set up the league, Yahoo?

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So who takes over the league when you finish last?

12. 93Devil

I'm guessing so. It's worked fine so far (touch wood).

Yahoo sounds like the official fantasy (sports) destination of SportsJournalists.com.

Draft saved Draft deleted