1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Football 2017

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Circus, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Dropped 181 points with CJ Anderson, Martavis Bryant, and Hogan on the bench. I'll take it.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

In one of my leagues, I've somehow managed to be the only team to start 2-0, even though I think my squad it pretty trash. Unfortunately, that means that I've been last in waiver priority both weeks and, as such, I haven't been able to acquire anyone I wanted off waivers. I think I'm fucked even though I'm in first.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

On the opposite end, I'm 0-2 in my longtime league. But only one game back in the division and I'll be able to get Carson and/or Allen this week. Although RB has not been my problem with Gordon and Cook. A.J. and Amari are hurting me.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

So I figured this might be the case, but I had a Great Moment In Fantasy History on Sunday.

I picked up the Italian kicker for the Raiders before my matchup. Fourth quarter, about 40 seconds left, Oakland is up 42-21. Raiders have a 4th and 4 inside the Jets' 10 and they're going to go for it, understandable, since a first down just runs the clock out. Raiders get whistled for a false start and elect to kick the most meaningless field goal ever. Tavecchio makes it.

I won by two.

Here's to you, shitty Raiders' O-line!

Batman, dixiehack and QYFW like this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I need to replace Gronk in two leagues.

Ricky Seals-Jones of Arizona at home against Tennessee or Stephen Anderson of Houston at home against San Francisco?

7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

PPR, Demaryius Thomas or Nelson Agholor?

Also going with Engram over Rudolph at tight end with Eli back and I feel like it's destined to be the wrong choice

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Wishful thinking because I have to start him as flex, but I'd go Agholor. The Broncos are a fucking mess.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How is it that, no matter what size your league is there is never anyone of any significant or even hidden value available on the waiver wire?
    I was checking the wires in three leagues for shits and giggles tonight. Other than a couple of quarterbacks, the top 10 guys with high point totals are all either on IR or got there by having one or two good games six weeks ago that totally inflated their value (looking at YOU, George Kittle).
    It's like this every year, in every league, too. Never any receivers who quietly have three or four 5-for-75 and a TD games, or even RBs who are starting to emerge from a timeshare to get 10-11 carries a game. I know people are active and desperate in whatever league it is, but how are there that many roster spots? I was in a four-team family league once where we set it up so that there HAD to be good players on the wire (there were no bench spots on each roster) and there still were no good players out there.
    It's one of the mysteries of the universe, like where do lost socks go or does Bigfoot exist?

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Pretty simple, at least as far as my leagues go.

Everyone goes where you go for free-agent pickups -- the list of top-scoring free agents. And they all do what you do -- rule out the ones on IR or those who had one or two good games six weeks ago that totally inflated their value (looking at YOU, George Kittle).

Top three players on my main league free-agent wire right now are Case Keenum, Blake Bortles and DeShone Kizer. Top RB is Chris Thompson. Hell, Robbie Gould is the No. 8 free agent.

After 25 years, I finally got smarter this season. I held the non-glamorous guys who always scored (Kirk Cousins, Larry Fitzgerald), realizing I wasn't going to do any better than that with an early-round draft pick. And I didn't make quick-twitch moves in the first half of the year, which allowed me to drop Thompson when he got hurt and pick up Alfred Morris just as he started to get carries.

One other thing which some won't agree with. You can be sure my second kicker and my second defense were my final two picks. But I also made sure I grabbed one of the marquee names for each position around the 10th, 11th round and rolled with them for 14 weeks. Too many people think those spots are crapshoots, or they don't mean enough in the big picture. Well, Matt Bryant was the difference in two wins this year.

(Having LeVeon doesn't hurt too much, either. Bye this week, straight into semifinal round next week.)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I stream my defenses most weeks. I enjoy the gamble.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I have the Rams defense, ranked third overall, and I don't play them every week. Matchups are so important when it comes to defenses. Having a great defense is truly an asset, but not having one isn't a killer because you can usually find a team with decent matchup on the wire.

Kickers are a total crapshoot. If I'm picking high in the draft, I'll take one in the second-to-last round so I don't get stuck with the last guy nobody wanted, but if I'm at the tail of the draft, I'll take him in the last round every time. And most years, I'll probably end up dropping him for someone better at some point anyway. Two kickers? No fucking way.

QYFW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted