1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy football 2016

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And that's with playing most of the year without your third-round pick.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

If you pick 8th again and get Brown or Beckham, I want in that league. Seriously, though, for those of us who like the WR-WR (or TE) wraparound, this year's rankings dilute the value of such a move. I'll still likely go that route, but instead of last year when I could get Julio-Gronk with the wraparound, this year it's more like Dez-Green.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Better "rookie" value: Elliott in the first or Kevin White in the 7th?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's why it's key to figure out where the dropoff is, and be a step ahead of where the next run on players is going to be.
    Say you're picking eighth in a 10-team league, and four of the first seven picks are RBs and two others are QBs. Then you obviously should go WR or even Gronk in the first round so you can grab an elite player instead of the fifth- or sixth-best RB. There's better value there. With a little luck, people either start taking mediocre RBs and you can grab another great WR in the second round, or the RB run cools off and you can snag a decent one before they're gone.
    If you're picking in the top three, though, it might be worth it to roll the dice on AP or Gurley.

I have no issues with doing whatever you want with the first pick. Find a guy you like and make him yours. Then you take the best available RB or WR in the second round. I've had way too many drafts, though, where I wound up chasing RBs in rounds 4-6 because I didn't have one yet and the top 15 or 20 were all gone.

5. Mr. Sunshine

People really like Todd Gurley. Guess it's that whole first impressions thing. He was awful in the second half, though, and there's a good chance that continues with a rookie QB taking the reins of the league's least creative offense.

6. Simon

Simon Active Member

I'm wondering what sites everyone uses for advanced analysis that is outside the norms of CBS, ESPN ... Ect.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Advanced analysis?

8. Simon

Simon Active Member

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of advanced metrics/moneyball stuff that took over baseball 5-10 years ago. I was wondering if there's some sites similar to FanGraphs that are doing this for fantasy football.

9. Mr. Sunshine

God, I hope not. One of the reasons fantasy football is so popular is that it hasn't been taken over by the Math Mafia. It's just an inherently simpler game from a fantasy standpoint.

10. Mr. Sunshine

I'm not drafting LeVeon at all with the suspension looming. Anyone willing to take him in the late first/early second?

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If it's only a four-game suspension, he might be a great value pick in rounds 2 (late) through 4.
    Most likely, though, in almost every draft someone will take him in the first or second round (or auto draft him) based on name recognition and rankings without realizing he's suspended. I doubt he makes it to round 3. Probably not even to round 2.

12. Mr. Sunshine

ESPN has him ranked 11, and most people will follow that roughly, so I think you're right.

Draft saved Draft deleted