1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2020 Running Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Feb 16, 2020.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Just completed a keeper draft, which was strangely comforting given the lack of sports on a daily basis right now. I thought it went well, overall, though I'm iffy on my decision to go with Kris Bryant with my second pick (drafting 12th) over Verlander, despite the injury issue. If Verlander comes back fine, it was probably a huge mistake. I could have found Bryant's 2019 production later. If he can return to his pre-shoulder injury 2016-17 production, I'll be pretty happy.

I'm going to need to find SV+H, but they always end up being available on the wire (I dropped Hader, Yates and Chapman, so it will be an issue I didn't have to deal with last year).

Current roster looks like this:
    Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 11.02.27 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 11.02.36 PM.png

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Now that MLB is at least planning to play, what are people doing with fantasy leagues? Is it even worth trying with such a short season?

My money league put it up for a vote. That league is roto-style scoring with no playoffs, which helps, but I can't say I'd want money on the line with such a messed-up version of a season. I'm probably going to vote that we punt this season and return in 2021.

For those in the Fantasy Addicts league, I'm going to bring it up on that thread.

3. bigpern23

In my dynasty H2H points league, we've got a six-week regular season in which each team will play two opponents, to give us 12 results (a little more than half of the 22 we usually get). We expanded playoffs to eight teams with no byes. I think that's the best format of any of my leagues.

In my regular keeper league (H2H categories), we're doing a 7-week regular season with a 4-team, two-week playoff. We added some DL slots.

4. bigpern23

On another note, in one of my keeper leagues, we keep one IF, one OF and one P. Doesn't matter where they were drafted. For infield, I've got to choose between Bregman, Alonso and Vlad Jr. I know where I'm leaning but wouldn't mind hearing some other perspectives on the choice.

I'll be keeping Acuna in the OF and Paddack at SP.

5. outofplace

I would keep Bregman. He is the best player of the three right now. He is still only 26 years old. He is eligible at shortstop as well as third base.

6. bigpern23

That was where I was leaning. I also have the second pick, so I’ll have a chance to get back maybe one of the others if I want.

7. outofplace

I get the hesitation letting the other two go. I would probably want to bounce it off others, too. That said, I think Bregman is an easy choice.

8. bigpern23

It almost seemed too easy and I was wondering if there was any reason to think otherwise. I also tend to overthink this stuff.

9. outofplace

So do I. That is why I wrote that in your place, I would have done the same thing.

That said, I find I'm not even close to my usual level of interest in fantasy baseball right now. Maybe that will change once the games start.

10. bigpern23

Same here. I'm kind of going through the motions right now, mostly to keep my leagues — one of which I've been a part of for 20 years — going. I also have a really strong dynasty team and excellent keepers in my other two leagues and don't want to give them up.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Huh. Neither am I.

I’m watching the NRL (Australian Rugby).

Matches at 5:55 AM aren’t too bad. 2:55 AM kind of screws up my sleeping pattern for a couple of days.

12. bigpern23

My commish accidentally kept Giolito for me instead of Paddack. Now I'm reconsidering lol. Giolito has a higher K/9, but Paddack was lower in WHIP and ERA last season. Paddack threw fewer innings, but I don't expect innings to be an issue this year. Giolito had the advantage in Ws, Paddack had fewer Ls. Seems like a bit of a coin flip. I like Paddack's nastiness and find him more exciting to watch, but I'm trying to look at this objectively.

EDIT: I could also keep Corbin or Snell. I ruled out Snell because I think he might be more of a value play coming off the injury. Corbin is north of 30, so I'm inclined to skew younger on a keeper.

Draft saved Draft deleted