1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2019 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 28, 2019.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You made the right call. There has to be zero tolerance of collusion. I can't say I'm surprised he reacted that way to the rule change, but at that point you just have to move on without him.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yeah, because the thing is, he argues that it didn't affect anything since I won my first-round game, but I'm sure my opponent would have rathered face Team B in the first round. And Team B didn't have to use any add/drops to get through Week 22, and was instead able to get set up for the playoffs. So telling Team B that he was going to throw it did affect things beyond Team A getting to face the team he wanted to face.

3. outofplace

That makes the case even better, but even if you couldn't demonstrate a tangible effect, collusion should never be allowed. He didn't give you much choice when he publicly announced his intention to engage in collusion.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

5. outofplace

I thought about starting a new thread, but I guess we'll go with the 2019 one for now.

My money league keepers are due next month. (We do a slow auction that takes about a month, so we have to do it early).

I put Yoan Moncada and some others on the block just to see what I could get. We can protect eight veterans and five minor leaguers. The salaries of the eight veterans go up $5 and the minor leaguers stay the same. I only have four minor leaguers worth keeping.

The offer I got is as follows, with 2020 salaries:

Give: Moncada ($20)

Receive: Corey Seager ($21), Luis Castillo ($16) and prospect Alex Kiriloff ($3). I really like Kiriloff. Castillo would bump Eduardo Rodrigue ($14). I end up increasing my payroll by $3, but I think I get a pitching upgrade and I definitely add a very good prospect. The downside is Moncada could be a star and Seager has injury concerns.

I considered seeing if I could squeeze out another prospect, which would be Rays infielder Vidal Brujan. The comps I've read are Rafael Furcal with more speed. Interesting.

Thoughts?

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Ask at the other place. No one cares here.

7. outofplace

New offer.

I give: Moncada ($20)
    I receive: Luis Castillo ($16) and top prospect Gavin Lux ($3).

I like my other 7 veteran keepers. This gets me a quality player back for Moncada and a big upgrade to my minor league roster. Lux still qualifies as a rookie by my league rules.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

If you buy that this Castillo is the new Castillo then that deal's a no-brainer.

9. outofplace

That is a big if, but I take your meaning. I've seen one Dynasty League ranking that has both Lux and Castillo ahead of Moncada.

10. outofplace

I accepted that trade. Now I've got another offer in the same league. I've Gerrit Cole for $33 in 2020. That is a bit pricey, but he was certainly worth that and more in 2019. I do worry a little about his ratios getting worse with the Yankees, but even with a little decline the huge strikeout totals make him a huge contributor.

I was offered Casey Mize ($3), one of the top 10 prospects in the game, and Ryan McMahon ($1) for Cole. McMahon showed some pop and he is eligible at 2B and 3B, but I'm a little worried about the Rockies having a logjam on the infield. Arenado and Story are going to play every day, so Hampson or Rogers could push McMahon for time at second base.

I'm leaning toward saying no, but I thought I'd see if anybody thought I was missing something.

Draft saved Draft deleted