1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2019 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 28, 2019.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The trade would boost me in R, HR, OBP and TB, but hurt me in K, SB and RBI. Overall, it's a very balanced, fair trade. But losing Albies and Soler as keepers probably tips the scale toward standing pat.

2. bigpern23

I also generally avoid trading with my direct competition. If he were in 10th place, I'd be more likely to make a deal. I'd hate to make a deal that strengthens my competitor.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think you make the deal. Listen to yourself. The gap between trout and Jorge soler? Who do you trust more to keep it going?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking, too, but it is August. I certainly trust Trout a lot more, but Soler could stay very productive at least the rest of t his season.

I was also thinking of pern's usual philosophy of putting the long-term aside if you can win it all now.

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. bigpern23

It's short-time decision making now, with just six weeks or so to play, so yeah, the calculus changes. Whatever move I make for Trout is specifically designed to hope he's hot for three weeks in September. Albies/Soler/Moustakas have gotten me to this position, and they're raking. If I were dealing prospects or guys who largely sit on my bench, it would be a no-brainer. If the trade were with the 10th place team, it would be a no-brainer. Sending all three to my direct competitor for one player - even Trout - is difficult.

6. bigpern23

Ended up getting Trout and Alex Wood for Albies/Moustakas/Voit. Moose and Voit aren't much for keepers next year, coming in the 8th and 6th rounds. Fucking loving it.

7. outofplace

My money league's deadline is Wednesday, but the offer I just received is insulting enough that I'm becoming pessimistic about getting anything done.

My league has five minor-league spots and I've got two excellent ones in Carter Kieboom and Mitch Keller. I figured I'd dangle them and see what I can get. I just got an offer of Madison Bumgarner for Keller and Yordan Alvarez. Even without dollar values attached to the players, it's a ridiculous offer. If Keller loses his rookie eligibility by the end of the season, he'd cost $4. If not, he'd only cost $1. Alvarez will cost only $6 to keep. Bumgarner will cost $26 and it's not as if he has been anything special this year.

Of course, I'm turning it down. I really shouldn't let insulting offers annoy me, but that one did the trick. I'm waiting to reply until I can respond without a snide comment, perhaps a reminder that the guy in 12th place in a 15-team league shouldn't be insulting the intellect of the guy in third place in such a manner. I'll probably settle for countering with an offer that is just as insulting to him.

8. bigpern23

Any offer - even an insulting one - is an invitation to make a deal. It means the manager who proposed it is hoping to make some sort of a trade. Instead of getting insulted, find a way to get to "yes."

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Lol. Yordan alone is more than worth making that trade for. You don't say no to a transcendent player like that, a guy who looks like a 10-year keeper

10. outofplace

That is why I found the offer so annoying. He wanted Alvarez and a top prospect from me for Bumgarner. Ridiculous.

11. outofplace

It's a fair point and I will counter, but I'm pessimistic about the chances of getting anything done with someone who made an offer that is so far from reasonable.

To me, there are invitations to make a deal and attempts at theft. The offer he sent me was the latter.

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. outofplace

Last night was the trade deadline in my money league. I made a significant deal and I'm still not sure I made the right move. The scoring is rotisserie and I've got big leads in RBI and runs. I'm also in second in HR, but first is likely out of reach. That led me to trade some power for pitching help and perhaps a little speed.

Gary Sanchez was my prime option. Of course, I love his power, but the average remains low and injuries are always an issue. He was probably too talented not to keep at $21 next season, but I wanted to move on from him. I put him on the block and had three offers within a half hour. The best of them centered around me getting Carlos Correa, Marcus Stroman and Yadier Molina. I would have to add Mitch Keller in with Sanchez, but I have enough prospects to do that. My counter-offer got it done.

I ended up getting Stroman, Correa, Molina, Brett Gardner, Antonio Osuna and Brad Keller for Sanchez and Mitch Keller. Stroman is cheap enough at $1 ($6 next year) to be a fringe keeper option for me. Correa will be a tough call at $31, but the deal is really about this season. Stroman adds some much-needed stability to my starting pitching. I think at worst, the Keller's will be a wash the rest of the way and Osuna should help a little in my bullpen. I don't think I lose much offensively with Correa coming in, so I got a much-needed pitching boost without hurting my offense.

Thoughts?

Draft saved Draft deleted