1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy baseball 2017

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 8, 2017.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I just saw that he lost his SS eligibility, so as an OF, he's less attractive. But still, in COL on the cheap, he might hold some value.

Here's how I ended up tonight.
    [​IMG]

I wonder whether I should have taken Schwarber over Seager with my third pick, but otherwise, no big regrets. Several of the players I had targeted went off the board far earlier than I expected (like three or four rounds sooner), so I can't beat myself up over those guys.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Looks pretty solid to me, though it is very hard to tell without comparing to other teams in the league.

You might have been better off with Schwarber, but then it is a matter of who you get at third base (or shortstop and move Machado) in a later round. Seager is a very safe, quality contributor. Schwarber still needs to play a full season.

I'm not a big Sonny Gray fan, but you are far from alone in putting him around that value. I'm guessing you will get more out of Lynn, who looks sharp this spring.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Machado was 44?

4. outofplace

I wondered that for a moment, too, until I realized that was a keeper league. Machado was a keeper who counted against him as a fourth rounder. Notice the K next to certain players.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  5. bigpern23

Correct.

RE: Schwarber/Seager, I was watching the final minute of the Oregon game and didn't realize it was my turn to draft. I was debating between the two players when my time expired and it autoselected Seager, who I had ahead of Schwarber in my queue. I probably would have taken Maikel Franco to play 3B in Round 9 instead of Gattis, but oh well.

6. bigpern23

Gray was a bit of a panic pick. I was planning on taking Betances there and he got swiped by the guy ahead of me. Betances' ADP puts him in the 14th round on average, so I thought for sure he was going to be there. Didn't have a backup plan when he got taken, and Gray was the best guy I could find in under a minute.

7. outofplace

I don't think you lost much there. I'm not a huge fan of Franco. The great benefit if you had gone that route would be youth, but I'm not sure Schwarber as a third-rounder would be a keeper for you long term, anyway.

8. bigpern23

No, he wouldn't have been. Next year he'll be a first-round pick and I wouldn't keep him in that slot.

9. bigpern23

So you wound up keeping Price, right? Just saw today he's out until May 1 at least. How did your roster shake out?

10. Guy_Incognito

Yeah. And in this league, because I won last year, I et the last pick in every round. I also had to miss the draft. 3 of my non-keepers went in each of the first 2 rounds - Upton, Longoria & Carpenter before I picked Bregman, Then Diaz, Sanchez & Fulmer before I took Giles.
    The rest of my draft went:
    1. (12) Miguel Cabrera  (Det - 1B)
    2. (36) Robinson Canó  (Sea - 2B)
    3. (48) Trevor Story  (Col - SS)
    4. (60) Grégory Polanco  (Pit - OF)
    5. (72) Andrew McCutchen  (Pit - OF)
    6. (84) Gary Sánchez  (NYY - C)
    7. (96) Jean Segura  (Sea - 2B,SS)
    8. (108) Max Scherzer  (Was - SP)
    9. (109) David Price  (Bos - SP)
    10. (120) Cole Hamels  (Tex - SP)
    11. (132) Alex Bregman (Hou - 3B)
    12. (144) Ken Giles (Hou - RP)
    13. (156) Adam Duvall (Cin - OF)
    14. (168) Miguel Sano (Min - 3B,OF)
    15. (180) Dellin Betances (NYY - RP)
    16. (192) Albert Pujols (LAA - 1B)
    17. (204) Anthony DeSclafani (Cin - SP)
    18. (216) Matt Shoemaker (LAA - SP)
    19. (228) David Peralta (Ari - OF)
    20. (240) Eugenio Suárez (Cin - 3B)
    21. (252) Tyler Anderson (Col - SP)
    22. (264) Corey Dickerson (TB - OF)
    23. (276) Max Kepler (Min - OF)
    24. (288) Fernando Rodney (Ari - RP)
    25. (300) Greg Holland (Col - RP)
    26. (312) Lance Lynn (StL - SP)
    27. (324) Alcides Escobar (KC - SS)
    28. (336) Sandy León (Bos - C)
    29. (348) Carl Edwards Jr. (ChC - RP)
    30. (360) Tyler Thornburg (Bos - RP)

Since, I managed to drop the last 4 for Jeanmar Gomez, Reyes, Hammel and Glover. I'm OK, but a step backward from last year, for now at least.

11. outofplace

Not bad replacements in those last four spots. I like the Lynn pick. I'd love to get him that late in my league.

Scherzer and Price at the top of your pitching staff could be rough in April.

12. Guy_Incognito

Yup. Looking forward to the DL spots. Long season...

Draft saved Draft deleted