1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy baseball 2017

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 8, 2017.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

But would you take Carpenter over McCutchen? I don't see any reasonable way to make that call, even if you assume Carpenter will be healthy.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I left off carpenter. I'm annoyed bc I have to miss at least part of the draft tomorrow, but there doesn't seem to be a way to pre rank the remaining players, so if I want to pre rank, I need to start with around 120 useless ones before any that will matter. I guess I'll take my chances.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. bigpern23

I think you made the right call, and I don't think it's close. Carpenter is a huge question mark and, worse comes to worse, he's still available! Draft him back if you want and reach if you have to.

My team was absolute shit last year and I made a bunch of deals to acquire young talent. I acquired like 10-12 guys whom I thought could be potential keepers. One guy asked why I needed Player X when I can only keep 5. I didn't tell him (and I got the player in the deal) that part of my strategy was that any player I owned and had to cut would go back into the draft, thus I'd at least have an opportunity to redraft that player. I tried my best to make sure that, even if I couldn't keep all my favorite players, at least no one else would have them on the roster entering the draft.

I think that's an important and underrated part of slogging through a shitty season in a keeper league.

Of course, I make sure to tell any potential trade partners when I'm trying to acquire a potential future stud, "You can only keep five guys and you have Players A, B, C, D, and E, so what do you care bout Player F anyway??" :D

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Depends if you think last year was a fluke or a relatively early decline by McCutchen.

5. bigpern23

I think it's a bit of a fluke (he'll probably never be as good as his best, but he'll be better than last year). But, for the sake of argument, lets say it is a relatively early decline - McCutchen is still younger than Carpenter, and last year - arguably McCutchen's worst season - he was still on par with Carpenter's best season. There's been no point in their careers that Carpenter has been better than McCutchen, so I don't see any reason that at age 32, Carpenter is suddenly going to become significantly better.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  6. outofplace

Thing is, the limits on Carpenter's 2016 are easily traced to an injury. There really isn't a clear reason for McCutchen's struggles, which is what concerns me.

I think it's close enough now that it would depend on what position I need, but if that wasn't a factor, I'd still keep McCutchen.

7. bigpern23

First draft of 2017 coming up tonight. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

8. outofplace

Avoid Kipnis. I'm already stuck in my keeper league. Now he's out another 4-to-5 weeks with that shoulder problem. Just last week, Kipnis said he would be playing if it was the regular season. That was clearly crap. It is never a good sign to see timetables pushed back over and over again.

bigpern23 likes this.
  9. bigpern23

Good advice, thanks.

10. outofplace

Gotta get some use out of all that scouting of my own players. I really can't change my draft plan much. I still need pitching and power and I can fill in a middle infield spot late. There is a lot of depth at second base.

My goal by draft day is to lock in an order of preference for Paxton, Gausman, Moore and Melancon. I will have at least two of those to choose from, if not all four.

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. bigpern23

In my auction league, there's no depth available at 2B, but someone just dropped Desmond even though he was only making $8 this season. I may try to swipe him up cheap and risk it.

12. outofplace

I'm not sure how Desmond fits. He only played the outfield last year. That said, I do think he's a good risk if you can get him cheap even if he isn't 100 percent much of the season.

Draft saved Draft deleted