1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy baseball 2017

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 8, 2017.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Revisiting this list, I'm feeling like Machado, Trea and Dahl are definite, and I'm leaning toward Urias and Bregman to round out the other two slots. I'd like to keep two pitchers, but not sure I have anyone worth keeping ahead of Bregman.

Giolito's ADP is somewhere in the 300s right now, so I think I can get him back later than round 17 if I want him. Reyes, obviously, is out. I could keep Velasquez, who would be a late-round pick like Bregman and McCullers has value at round 20.

I hate to drop someone like Franco, who has a big league track record, or even Sano, who has an ADP in the 11th round, but I have to cut somewhere.

So it would be Machado (4), Turner (16), Urias (17), Dahl (24), Bregman (25).

2. bigpern23

Ultimately, I went with Machado, Turner, Urias, Dahl and Bregman. Starting to strategize for the draft, in which I have the fifth pick. Top five available hitters are Trout (who I expect to go first), Arenado, Goldschmidt, Harper and Rizzo. Kershaw and Bumgarner are also out there. I'm hoping to grab Rizzo. I suspect Schwarber and Posey will be available with my second pick, butI not sure I want to use a second rounder on either of them. I don't think they far outclass other catchers available by enough to use a second rounder on them.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'd want Rizzo there, too, assuming Trout, Arenado and Goldschmidt will be gone. If Rizzo is gone, too, I'd go with Kershaw over Harper. I just don't like the trend and you know Kershaw is as safe a bet to dominate as you can have with a pitcher.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. bigpern23

Agreed. Plus, I kept four hitters and only one developing young pitcher, so it's not a bad idea to have a stud on the mound as a first pick.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

So what do we think about Price? I know he's going to start on the DL, but if that were it, I would take my chances. The possibility that it's something bigger makes me think Fulmer, Upton or Carpenter might be better picks.

6. bigpern23

Honestly, I have no idea what to make of the injury at this point, but it seems he's putting it behind him. If healthy, Price is a more valuable keeper. I think at this point, he's your guy and you can try to redraft Fulmer somewhere in the middle rounds.

7. Guy_Incognito

Now I'm leaning to keep Carpenter, and deciding to leave out one of Price, Hamels, Mccutchen or Polanco. What do you think?

8. outofplace

When do you have to decide? Last I saw, Carpenter was still a week away from hitting in a game. That back injury is making me a little nervous.

Downside of making cuts early. I traded Cabrera for Carpenter, Lester and a 2nd-round pick last month, then he got hurt early in spring training. Not that I'd have cut him after the trade, but I wouldn't have dealt for him. Ah well.

I'd wait to see that Carpenter hits in a game if you can.

9. Guy_Incognito

By Friday, Sunday draft.

10. bigpern23

I'm on record as not being a huge fan of Carpenter. Add into that the fact that back injuries can derail a season (or even a career, as you obviously know happened with Donnie Baseball), and I'd be wary of Carpenter. Polanco is young and coming into his own. Price and Hamels can be a nasty one-two punch for your rotation. I think McCutchen will bounce back this year and your choice probably comes down to him or Carpenter. McCutchen is a year younger and his worst season was as good as (or arguably better than) Carpenter's best season to date.

11. outofplace

I like Carpenter more than pern does, but if he's on your fringe and the decision has to be made this week, I'd cut him due to the injury risk.

12. outofplace

FYI: Saw a report today that Carpenter claims he feels 100 percent and will return to game action Friday.

Edit with update: Carpenter was back in the Cardinals' lineup today.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted