1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy baseball 2017

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 8, 2017.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Definitely did not realize that with Rizzo. He has played 2b in 9 games. Would think all are due to a double switch, on baseball-reference Rizzo 86 games played, appeared at 2b in 9 games. My weekly league is CBS and we made the 10% rule. I like that about CBS, you can easily make the rules and categories, we uses wins minus losses, saves minus blown saves and steals minus caught stealing. Although I still think it's not worth paying for as opposed to yahoo which is free.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Diaz has great potential, but he hasn't been close to a top-10 closer. He's still useful because we have five relief pitchers active each week. Carpenter's versatility has been helpful. Mostly I'm just annoyed by Lester shitting himself.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

According to CBSSports, it's not that it was a double switch, it's the way the Cubs defend against sacrifice bunts. Maddon moves the 2B over to first and Rizzo to 2B, but only for that play. Then they go back to their regular positions. But because he switches gloves, it technically makes him a 2B for that play.

Fantasy Baseball position eligibility update: Anthony Rizzo getting close to second base, Eric Thames at first highlight latest changes

4. bigpern23

Received an offer of Trout/AJ Ramos/Rodney/Gio Gonzalez for Judge/Felipe Rivero.

I'm going to turn it down, but trying to think of a way to still pry Trout from this guy. He's in last place and is looking for keepers (Judge will be my final draft pick next year), but I'm not sure I have anybody who is expendable and good enough to get Trout.

I've got a few good prospects (Dahl, Rosario - #2 ranked minor leaguer, Clint Frazier, Chance Adams), but I don't have much depth beyond my starters. Just not sure what offer I can put together that would give him some good keepers, while not taking away from my starters.

C - Ramos
    1B - Rizzo
    2B - Happ
    3B - Bregman
    SS - Machado
    OF - Judge
    OF - Bruce
    OF - Souza
    UTIL - Gennett
    BN - Haniger
    BN - K. Seager
    BN - Frazier
    BN - Rosario (NA)
    DL - Turner
    DL - Dahl

SP - Lester
    SP - Tanaka
    SP - Fulmer
    SP - Severino
    SP - McCarthy
    SP - S. Gray
    SP - Castillo
    SP - Adams (NA)
    RP - Brach
    RP - Rosenthal
    RP - Rivero

5. cjericho

Going to have to try and watch for that. you ever see it? does he charge in as close as keith hernandez used to?

6. bigpern23

I watch a fair number of Cubs games because I have Rizzo, Happ, Lester, Schwarber and Wade Davis on my various teams and an MLB.TV subscription, but I haven't actually seen any of the games in which he's done it (or maybe I have but missed that particular play).

7. bigpern23

The wheeling and dealing is heating up in my Yahoo league. One guy just traded Bellinger (a 25th-rounder next year) and some scrubs for McCutchen, Scherzer and Knebel. It's the first big deal ahead of the trade deadline and seems to kind of set the market.

I've since had a couple inquiries on Judge. I immediately got an offer of Harper, Carrasco and Osuna for Judge and Rosario. It's not a bad offer. It would help my pitching quite a bit and is nearly a wash across our categories for the OF. But given the aforementioned deal, I'm not inclined to take it (also, I have serious fanboi goggles on for Judge, so if I deal him, it's probably got to be for a major haul).

Judge seems a sure bet to hit 50 HRs this year, and will be a 25th rounder next year. Am I an asshole to counter with an offer of Judge/Rosario for C. Seager/Stanton/Harper given the deal I mentioned earlier?

8. cjericho

Judge fanboy also, but think he will laugh at your counter offer. but may as well try.

9. bigpern23

Just sent Trea Turner/Amed Rosario/Felipe Rivero/Luis Castillo to another team for Trout/Greg Holland.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Could hurt long term (I'm assuming you either can't keep Trout or he would be very costly to keep), but should certainly put you in great position this season.

11. bigpern23

Right, Trout is a rental. We keep six players out of 25, so my philosophy is it's worthwhile to mortgage future production to win now ($600 to champion pays for 10 years worth of league dues).

Just got offered Freeman/Conforto/Bellinger for Judge/Bregman. I can't turn that down, can I?

12. bigpern23

So, in the last couple hours, I acquired Trout, Bellinger, Conforto, Freeman, Holland and Matz in exchange for Judge, Trea, Bregman, Gray, Castillo, Rivero, and Rosario.

Holy hell, my head is spinning.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Guy_Incognito and cjericho like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted