1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy baseball 2017

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 8, 2017.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Didn't realize he did play that many at 1b last season, it was 21 per baseball-reference. Glad that's enough because don't have a true 1B in that league, just have Murphy, Myers and Thames. Since I can put Thames and Myers in the OF, think I'm going with OOP's suggestion and picking up Bour.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm sure B-R is correct, was just going off memory (I tried to acquire him in a trade last year and remembered he had 1B eligibility). Either way, the 1B eligibility doesn't enhance his value much ... he's way more valuable at 2B.

3. cjericho

You were way closer than what I thought. Didn't realize he played that many at 1B, thought maybe 10 games. My daily league we use Yahoo and whatever qualifications they go by. My weekly league, we use CBS and it's 10% of total games played at that position to qualify. Like that with CBS you can create the categories, we use saves minus blown saves; wins minus losses; and steals minus caught stealing. But other than that, I prefer yahoo over cbs.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Did you see my edit to my post? Bour could end up going on the DL with the bone bruise in his ankle. Not sure how your league DL works or if you have any open spots, but you may want to hold off on him unless you want a DL stash.

5. outofplace

Update: The Marlins put Bour on the DL. Still worth an add if you can stash him, but he was in a walking boot Monday and they didn't make the move retroactive, which can be a sign that he's going to be out more than the minimum.

cjericho likes this.
  6. cjericho

I took him anyway, it said he could go on the DL on yahoo. I have Pollock and Andriese on the DL, but Andriese should start this weekend. I can keep Murphy at 1B, Odor at 2B and have Thames, Myers and Mazara in the OF. When Bour comes back I can sit Odor or Moustakos, who I put in the utility/dh spot. Bour played on Sunday, so they could only make it retro one day.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  7. outofplace

Sounds like a good risk. I think the guy was having a breakout season last year, then he got hurt. I'm still annoyed I didn't grab him. There are some first basemen who were drafted late or not at all in many leagues, but now they are paying big dividends. Bour is probably second in that group, ahead of Yonder Alonso and behind Ryan Zimmerman.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I am in a keeper league (basically you have 18 points to keep six guys, point value goes up one a year) and have Schwarber. I'm way back of the playoffs and keeping Schwarber next year will be cheap and a way to keep maybe Goldschmidt. I carry only two positional bench players so I can rotate starters. Keep Schwarber?

9. bigpern23

What's up with Fulmer over the last month? I haven't seen a breakdown of his peripherals in June vs. April/May, but I know he has a ghastly 5-something ERA this month after a 2.50 in the first two months.

10. outofplace

I got the impression that Fulmer is one of those guys with a relatively small margin for error. I could be wrong. Guys like that are going to have rough stretches.

Take Estrada for example. Another guy who has been pretty effective the last few years, but he has a rough month or so every season, usually in June. He was fantastic in April and May, but just awful of late. Guys like that, you have to hold, but maybe keep them on the bench until you see a strong start or two.

11. bigpern23

Clint Frazier got the call up today after Dustin Fowler went down with a nasty knee injury in his first Big League game. He's worth keeping an eye on, if not adding immediately (I already scooped him in two leagues).

12. outofplace

Frazier was drafted in my league, but he was certainly worth a look.

I've got a big decision coming. My week sets weekly lineups and I'm going to have to get A.J. Pollock active for next week. My top three options to cut are Maybin, Kipnis or Villar. Maybin has been the best of the three, but Kipnis and Villar both have big-time upside. I'm really stuck on which one I will drop.

Draft saved Draft deleted