1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy baseball 2017

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 8, 2017.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, the guy in my league who grabbed Torres said he heard a rumor the Yankees were nearly fed up with Headley and could call the rookie up within a week or two. I kept hearing how everybody loved what they saw in Spring Training and they thought he was ready then.

Of course, that's mostly rumor and it is just as likely he doesn't see the majors until September or perhaps even next spring.

Of your pitchers, how has Salazar looked in the bullpen? I know you nearly cut him already. Now that there is a pitcher you like available, maybe that is your move.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yesterday was his first game out of the pen and he was fine. 1IP, 2K, 1 hit.

Torres getting called up to replace Headley is definitely the hot rumor. Not sure when it'all happen, but Headley has been bad for a month. I assume there's some Super 2 considerations.

3. outofplace

Are the Yankees really going to let that get in the way? I know they are a little more cost-conscious than they used to be and Cashman is averse to dealing away prospects, but they still have the money to put aside such long-term salary concerns should not hold them back. It's not like they won't be able to re-sign Torres down the line if he does become a star.

4. bigpern23

If he were ready in April, no, they wouldn't have held him back. But with the way they're winning, if they have to wait a week or two to get past Super 2, yeah, Cashman would wait and gain the extra year of control. Anybody would.

The biggest thing holding him back at this point is that he hasn't started hitting yet in Scranton. He's batting only .207 in nine games since being promoted.

Wound up putting in a claim dropping Puig for Wacha, and I'll see how things shake out this weekend with Quintana getting another start. Drew Pomeranz is available as well, so I may pick him up (assuming no one else does first). I'd love to swing a 2-for-1 trade with someone to get a decent player and open up a roster spot without just dropping a guy.

5. outofplace

I made the mistake of cutting Pomeranz before this recent streak of solid starts. I was loaded at pitcher and needed to add a bat. Then I lost Wood and Duffy within 24 hours. Luckily, I got Paxton back and snagged Jaime Garcia, who has been outstanding of late.

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. bigpern23

Garcia is curiously useful most years. He's not a great pitcher, but he can contribute in fantasy.

7. outofplace

Yup. The K-rate sucks and he doesn't have a big margin for error, but he is useful filler.

Keeping a pitching staff intact is a real pain this season.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What do you think of this. In a very deep league, there's someone who is looking for saves. We've gone back and forth some, now his offer is:
    Hanley Ramirez
    Michael Saunders
    Carlos carrasco

For

Hand
    Glover
    Berrios
    Bradley zimmer

9. outofplace

Keeper league or redraft? That makes a huge difference for a deal involving Zimmer and Berrios.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

No keepers

11. outofplace

I still don't love it. Berrios has been great since his call-up. Zimmer is already better than Saunders. I guess it depends if you believe Hanley Ramirez is going to kick it into gear and put up big numbers the rest of the way. If you do, the deal works. If not, you're giving up a lot for Carrasco.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Picked up Edinson Volquez for a streaming start Saturday morning.

Ta-da.

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted