1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy baseball 2017

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 8, 2017.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

In my dynasty league, I was offered the following trade:
    Receive: Arrieta
    Give up: Conforto

My OF is fairly thin - we start four guys and I have Sano, Conforto, Blackmon, Puig and Eduardo Nunez - so I don't think I can give up Conforto. I'm debating whether Arrieta is a worthy buy-low candidate and if I should make a counter offer on him, such as someone like Travis Shaw (the other guy needs an OF, but if I give him a 3B, he can slot Kris Bryant into the OF), or if Arrieta is just done.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Definitely not Conforto. I'm not sure I'd trade for Arrieta at this point. The talk of decline was a bit overblown last year, but I think it is real now.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. bigpern23

Cleveland OF Bradley Zimmer has been called up. He's MLB.com's 19th rated pro prospect. Go get him if you can.

4. outofplace

Long gone in my league. Zimmer draws Grady Sizemore comparisons because he is a power/speed guy and he plays for the Indians, but his strikeout rate in the minors was a red flag. He is certainly worth the risk if you've got the room, but he is far from a sure thing. Bellinger and Happ are better prospects.

5. bigpern23

Agreed.

I picked him up in two leagues, dropping Gallo (I mean, Zimmer has to strike out less than 47 percent of the time, right? Right? Please?) in one and Danny Salazar in the other. I'm comfortably in second in that league in pitcher strikeouts and dead last in ERA, so I'm hoping whatever drop-off I have in Ks by dumping Salazar will be offset by a better ERA performance.

6. outofplace

I'm not that upset about missing out on Zimmer. I am disappointed about Happ, who was available when he was called up., Somebody else in my league just saw it first. He wasn't really expected to come up this early. Not that he wasn't ready. They just didn't have room to give him regular at-bats.

I was looking at picking him up earlier, but Marte's suspension and a bad run of injuries ruined my roster flexibility. I should have made the room.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. bigpern23

I nabbed Happ in the same two leagues I got Zimmer after dropping Eduardo Nunez and Salazar to get him (just realized I misspoke above - I dropped Puig to get Zimmer).

Happ's been rostered since the second week of April in my third league.

8. BrownScribe

BrownScribe Active Member

Would you guys recommend dropping Dee Gordon for Happ? I have Trea Turner as my other 2B

9. bigpern23

Every league is different, so I'm not sure how important Gordon's steals are to you, but given Turner's positional flexibility, yeah, I probably would.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Anyone know why They DLed Cano retroactively back to 5/13 when he hasn't played since 5/10?

In one league, we're allowed 5 DL slots. I usually use them as long term fliers on guys out for a while who I wouldn't otherwise bother with, but why not.

I have:
    Cano
    Story
    Polanco
    Price
    Taillon
    Hamels

In a different league, with only 2 slots I have Dahl, Cano, Paxton, Price & Bumgarner.

With the shorter DL, teams are going to it more than they used to. Better for baseball - teams and players. Killing me in fantasy though.

11. outofplace

That is a problem many leagues are facing this year. One of the guys in my keeper league saw the problem coming and I immediately jumped to support him in arguing for adding a DL spot. The other owners decided to wait and see, which was a mistake. Now most of us are dealing with roster flexibility issues.

I've already cut three players I had stashed on the DL and my list is still full. Hopefully, getting Haniger and Paxton back next week.

12. bigpern23

We're discussing adding an additional DL slot in two of my leagues and I'm pretty sure we're going to do so in one of them. My third league is extraordinarily deep (12 teams, 25-man rosters, and three DL slots), so we haven't even talked about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted