1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy baseball 2017

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 8, 2017.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Trying hard to justify to myself why I should keep either Bird or Hosmer and not pick up Mark Reynolds. I think Bird and Hosmer are both better long-term options, but Reynolds is on fire.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Reynolds has a history of this. He will falter. Also, Desmond is due back any day now, which will cut into Reynolds' playing time.

What do I know? I lost patience too early with Josh Bell, who is coming along, and dismissed Ryan Zimmerman's hot start. Oops.

Correction, Desmond is back, though he played left field today.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    bigpern23 likes this.
  3. bigpern23

Didn't realize Desmond was back to cut into his time, so thanks for pointing that out. There's a bunch of players out there who have performed better than my guys thus far, and I'm getting impatient, but I don't want to act too soon.

Dickerson, even Travis Shaw might be good additions compared the nothing that Bird and Hosmer have done. I'm also considering dropping Piscotty.

An 0-3 start has me itchy, but I'm going to crush my opponent this week, so maybe I'm better off holding out hope that Hosmer and/or Bird turn it around and Dahl can live up to the hype when he comes back in a week or two.

4. outofplace

I'm in first place, which makes it a little easier to be patient in spite of my team's flaws. The impact of losing Haniger hasn't set in yet, but I had just gotten Turner back and some of my other guys started to reward my patience.

It really is tough to keep up with the DL trips and returns. Teams are taking advantage of the 10-day DL.

Regarding Desmond and Reynolds, I'm not sure what the Rockies' plan is at this point. I know Desmond was going to play first if Dahl was healthy, but maybe he stays in the outfield until Dahl's return?

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

My only closers are Neris and Osuna. Got Moustakos and usually don't use him since I have Lamb and OF is Thames, Pollock, Piscotty, Fowler and Mazara. We start 3 OF and one utility and it's a daily league. Should I offer Moustakos for Maurer? I'm tied for last in saves and pretty good in every other category, 2nd overall 4 pts from 1st. Dude in last place has C Allen and Maurer and plays Headley at 3b. I think right now Headley is a little better than Moustakos, but have to think for rest of the season Moustakos will be better. Should I try to make that trade?

6. outofplace

I think Maurer just gives you a third unreliable closer, so I wouldn't bother. You're giving up the better player in the deal and getting a guy who might help, but is far from a safe bet.

7. bigpern23

Yeah, I never trade specifically for a closer, especially a mid- or lower-tier guy, unless it's for someone I'm about to drop. More often, I try to get them included in a larger trade to sweeten the deal for me. Closers are just too volatile and, realistically, they only help in one category.

8. bigpern23

In one of my other leagues, I'm in 1st as well, so I've been able so far to ride out DL stints by Sonny Gray, Dahl, Haniger, and slow starts by Bregman, Machado, Seager, and Trea Turner. Guys are starting to hit now and that team is looking even better.

My points league team has improved every week, so even though I'm now 1-3, I've got some hope. My other team is a dumpster fire right now, even though I think it should be good.

9. outofplace

What do y'all think of Scott Schebler? Nobody seems to be high on him, but he is up to eight home runs and he seems to be getting regular playing time for the Reds. At the moment, I have David Peralta on my roster, but he can't hit lefties. Peralta has more speed, but I don't need the steals. Just wondering if it's worth a switch.

I'm also in the odd position of hoping the Phillies put Neris back in a set-up role. I've got closers. I need holds and Neris seems to be struggling since they turned over the ninth inning to him.

10. cjericho

Pretty much agree with you and OOP. I sent the offer and he hasn't responded, he probably thinks i'm trying to rip him off. if it wasn't a daily league i think it would be a no brainer. since it's a daily league i can play moustakos when lamb is off. there's 2 spots for closer and 1 flex so i could use another closer, any closer.

11. cjericho

Think Schebler over Peralta would be a good move. If he bats after Votto and Duvall he should incrase RBIs also. That park is hitter friendly and he has 6 hrs on the road, would think he starts hitting a few more at home.

12. outofplace

They are both in hitter-friendly lineups and ballparks. Schebler seems to have more consistent playing time and more power.

Draft saved Draft deleted