1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy baseball 2017

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 8, 2017.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sheepishly raises hand. I had the opportunity to grab him in two leagues and passed because I didn't want to drop any of my guys for a 30-year-old guy from the KBO. I've since dropped several of them. In another league, a guy was dangling him almost immediately and I probably could have traded for him without giving up a significant player.

2. bigpern23

Missing out on Thames has me wondering if I need to immediately add Gallo. He's mashing right now, but not sure if he can make the improvement stick.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He was drafted in the ninth round in my league, but with keepers, that is the equivalent of the 23rd. I haven't cut anybody I took earlier than that yet, but Fowler would be one. The guy who drafted him put him on the block last week and I low balled, figuring he was trying to sell high. Oops.

My offense is still right up there at the top of the league in spite of terrible starts by some key hitters, but it would certainly look a lot better if I hadn't missed on that one.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Got Thames in the 15th round, in a league with two keepers. Not to get too high on myself, I took Urias in the 13th. He started in the f'n playoffs, should he not be expected to be No. 4 in that rotation?

5. outofplace

Considering taking a chance on Austin Hedges. The power binge is hard to ignore. He didn't get a hit until April 12, but now has four home runs in the last five games to give him six for the season. He strikes out too much, has a history as a defense-first guy and bats in a terrible lineup, but what I have now is Russell Martin.

I could drop an outfielder and go with two catchers for a week or two, but I'm not sure either guy is worth that.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I grabbed him in a league over the weekend because I have Sanchez out and had D'arnaud filling in, so it wasn't such a hard call.

7. bigpern23

Urias is starting Thursday against the Giants. Really the main reason they kept him in Oklahoma City was because of workload limits (I think they're aiming at like 120 IP this season). He's good enough.

8. outofplace

I'd like him better as a short-term gamble. How long is Sanchez out?

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think early-mid-May.

10. outofplace

For that time period, grabbing Hedges was a great call. I'm not sure he will be better than Martin the rest of the season. Also, my league counts walks as a category and Martin draws quite a few.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Makes sense, didn't realize the limit was that low. thought i read that he was sent down because he was the No. 5 and with days off they wouldn't need a fifth starter for the first few weeks. been falling behind in K's and been holding him. it's a daily league and i already have Hill and Graveman on the DL so glad he's finally called up.

12. bigpern23

1B Cody Bellinger got called up by the Dodgers today. Grab him if you can.

Draft saved Draft deleted