1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2016

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I had my A.L. keeper auction the other night. I came in with more money ($206) than all but one other team in my league. And I spent every dollar, which is always nice.

Here's my team, with keepers in bold:

C - Matt Wieters $17
    C - Blake Swihart $2
    1B - Carlos Santana $11
    2B - Dustin Pedroia $17
    3B - Mike Moustakas $1
    SS - Elvis Andrus $15
    MI - Marcus Simien $7
    CI - Pedro Alvarez $12
    OF - Adam Eaton $19
    OF - Justin Upton - $29
    OF - Seth Smith - $1
    OF - Rusney Castillo - $13
    OF - Colby Rasmus - $5

U - Evan Gattis - $1
    BN - Jimmy Rollins
    P - Nate Karns $1
    P - Andrew Heaney $10
    P - Dallas Keuchel $10

P - Chris Sale $39
    P - Drew Smyly $20
    P - Francisco Rodriguez $18
    P - Clay Buchholz $1
    P - Yu Darvish $10

BN - Ubaldo Jimenez
    BN - Matt Shoemaker
    BN - Nick Tropeano (already dropped for Josh Tomlin)

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Bidding war for Heaney? I like him, but I'm surprised he cost you $10. I ended up getting him for $2 in my auction league. Another guy nominated him, I bid it to $2 and the other guy didn't even counter back. Seeing him go for $10 in your league makes me feel better about the chances of him being good. I got him so cheap, I was thinking everyone else must know something I don't.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Looks like Heaney was a keeper, so maybe that $10 was a built-in increase from last season? Depends how Dick's league works.

Can't say I care for keeping Castillo at $13 and it already looks bad with him set to open the season on the bench. Brock Holt beat him out for a job in the Boston outfield.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He was a mid season pick-up, which is automatically $10. You're right - close call there. But considering his age, the effect of inflation, and that it's A.L.-only, I decided to hold on to him.

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. bigpern23

I scanned your post too quickly and missed that it's AL only and he was a keeper. I think it was a good call, even if it were mixed. I like his potential.

6. outofplace

A.J. Pollock's broken elbow most likely sank my three-time defending champion keeper league team, so I'm trying to figure out which prospects to target in my draft Saturday. It seems the rebuild I've been putting off may have arrived a little early.

Giolito is not available. Neither is Corey Seager. Trevor Story will make an impact sooner, but I like J.P. Crawford better long term among the young shortstops.

Jose Berrios looks like he could make an impact in 2016 for the Twins. Nomar Mazara could end up in the Rangers' outfield this season. I'm guessing both of those guys end up having to wait until June or July.

So, how would you all rank these guys? Piscotty is available as well, but I can't see him making it to me with the 10th pick overall. I'm thinking Berrios, Mazara, Crawford and Story in that order.

7. outofplace

Just finished my keeper league draft. Having three minor leaguers is very odd for me. I'm usually the one who goes with veterans, but my team is getting old. I got Berrios early, but waited a round too long on Mazara.

Here is my team with keepers in bold. As you can see, the Pollock injury is a killer. Obviously, he'll be on my team's IR and replaced as soon as the Diamondbacks get around to putting him on the DL.

C Yan Gomes
    1B Miguel Cabrera
    3B Nolan Arenado
    CI Lucas Duda
    2B Jason Kipnis
    SS Troy Tulowitzki

MI Yangervis Solarte
    OF Carlos Gomez
    OF Starling Marte

OF Shin-Soo Choo
    OF Gerardo Parra
    UT Mark Teixeira
    UT Kevin Pillar
    SP Felix Hernandez
    SP Zack Greinke
    SP Tyson Ross
    SP Adam Wainwright

SP Wei-Yin Chen
    SP Aaron Nola
    SP Jason Hammel
    RP Jeurys Familia
    RP Francisco Rodriguez
    RP Jeremy Jeffress
    RP Joaquin Benoit
    RP Kevin Jepsen

Bench Joe Ross
    Bench A.J. Pollock
    Bench Jose Berrios
    Bench J.P. Crawford
    Bench Trea Turner

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I don't follow baseball like I do football, so I hope K. Marte is serviceable as a starting SS.

9. outofplace

I like Marte. He showed some real promise last season. He's not a star and he needs more of a track record to be considered a safe bet, but he should be useful.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

That's good. Autodraft usually knows better than me anyway.

11. outofplace

He shouldn't be available, but if you get a chance, pick up Rangers outfielder Nomar Mazara. He wasn't expected to be in the majors this early, but they called him up because Shin-Soo Choo is on the DL for four-to-six weeks with a calf strain.

Mazara is only 20, but he is very polished and has excellent power. He has three hits already in his debut today, including a home run.

Of course, I am cursing this development because I waited a round too long and somebody else grabbed Mazara in my keeper league. To make matters worse, I do have Choo and four other players currently on the DL. I'm just waiting for the trash talk to filter in. I've got quite the target on my after winning that league the last three years.

12. bigpern23

He was available in one of my leagues, but quickly got snapped up. Would have probably had to drop Piscotty or David Peralta. I don't think either will be studs, but I'm not sure I'd drop either since they seem to be the safer play.

I also missed out on picking up Eugenio Suarez, 24-year-old 3B for the Reds who is tearing the cover off the ball right now. He's still only eligible at SS, but he's got six starts at 3B under his belt and will gain eligibility this week. Again, would have had to drop Piscotty or Peralta.

This time of the season is tough because you draft guys you think are going to be good and it's too early to count out most of the guys on your roster. But then you see a Mazara get the call and you're trying to weigh potential vs. established production.

Draft saved Draft deleted