1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2016

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 18, 2016.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Hey @outofplace, know anything about Tyler Glasnow, the Pirates' pitching prospect? I've got a guy trying to include him in a trade. I know he's an MLB Top 100 prospect and he probably won't get called up until after the Super 2 arbitration deadline in June. He's also 6'8", which makes me question whether he's got the mechanics to be as good as projected. Just curious if you have any more insight into him.

FWIW, the guy is trying to acquire Jose Abreu from me.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Those issues with mechanics are probably why he has had some control issues in the minors, but Glasnow is legit. He has dominated on every level. The Pirates considered calling him up during the 2015 season. Whether he was kept in the minors to continue his development or to slow his march toward arbitration and free agency is a matter of conjecture.

He definitely won't be up until after the Super 2 deadline no matter how well he pitches. Most teams would make that move, and there is no question the Pirates will do what it takes to save a little money.

What is the proposed deal?

3. bigpern23

He proposed Kole Calhoun, Pujols and Glasnow for Abreu. I rejected it. Calhoun wouldn't crack my starting OF, Pujols is coming off a great year, but I worry about relying on him to do it again at age 36. Glasnow is an intriguing piece, but given the Super 2 deadline, he doesn't offer enough value. I'm trying to come up with a good counter. I may see if I can lift Syndergaard and Glasnow in some sort of package.

4. outofplace

Agreed. Calhoun is filler and I wouldn't trust Pujols that much, either. Glasnow is a great prospect, but no way he should be the best part of the return for a guy like Abreu.

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. bigpern23

Second draft in the books. 12-team dynasty league auction. I had more money than all but two teams. We were allowed to keep as many players as we wanted, but everyone's salary went up by $5. I cut about half my roster, including Cruz and Tanaka. Think I made out OK (keepers in bold).

C McCann 39
    1B Duda 13
    2B Pedroia 11
    3B Frazier 16
    SS Castro 13
    OF Blackmon 7
    OF Piscotty 6

OF H. Ramirez 20
    OF Zobrist 22
    DH Fielder 11
    BN A. Rodriguez 6
    BN K. Marte 5
    BN Peralta 7

SP F. Hernandez 40
    SP Severino 6
    SP Volquez 3

SP Heaney 2
    RP Davis 7
    RP Betances 7

RP Bailey 3
    RP Soria 1
    SP Z. Wheeler 7
    SP J. De Leon 1

I'll probably have to try to move Fielder or ARod. I didn't realize Fielder had lost his 1B eligibility in this league, so he and ARod are only eligible at DH. Can't leave that kind of production on the bench. I'll also immediately stash Wheeler on the DL and pick up a prospect.

McCann was the one keeper I was really on the fence about. He was expensive at 39, but there was no cheap talent at catcher. If I let him go, catcher would have been a black hole in my lineup.

6. outofplace

Which Peralta is that on your bench?

I wondered about McCann when I first glanced at the roster, but I see your reasoning now. That is part of why it is often so hard to judge a lineup out of context. In a vacuum, $39 for McCann makes no sense, but it seems better based on your specific needs in that league.

Seems like a solid team. I really like Marte. I'm guessing he will end up your starting shortstop over Castro at some point.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Would have had to pay $42 to keep Adam Jones in my keeper league. Didn't protect him. Got him back for $29. Success.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. bigpern23

David Peralta, I should have been clearer. Yeah the McCann thing was tough because all the reasonably good players at the position were already rostered and, the way the spending went, he probably would have gone for $45+.

EDIT: It's actually a 14-teamer, making decent backstops that much harder to come by.

I was pretty aggressive early, nabbing Castro, Hernandez and Hanley among three of the first four players nominated. Then I sat out the bidding on a lot of players in the middle and later on I was able to get some other guys, such as Fielder, cheap when everyone began running out of money. This is my fourth year in the league and I think it was a good strategy. I remember one year I was holding out, not bidding on guys early, and suddenly there were no studs left and I wound up with $60 in the bank.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  9. bigpern23

Trying to decide on a prospect to pick up once I DL Wheeler. Thinking Trea Turner or Jose De Leon.

10. bigpern23

Will Smith, closer for the Brewers, tore his LCL today. Long DL stint ahead, with or without surgery. Jeremy Jeffress to get the 9th.

11. outofplace

Saw that. Terrible timing for Smith, who seemed like a good bet to step up as a closer this year. Also sucks for fantasy owners who already drafted.

12. bigpern23

I drafted Smith in one league, but I saw the news quickly enough I was able to drop him and pick up Jeffress in time.

I wanted to get him in my other league, too, and drop Soria (who I primarily picked up as insurance for Wade Davis), however, we revamped some rules this season and UFAs now cost $5 to start instead of $1. That cost me a chance to pick up Jeffress because I'm only $3 under the cap and dropping Soria wouldn't clear enough space for me. Didn't feel like I could drop any of my other guys to get him.

Draft saved Draft deleted