1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2015

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

So easy keepers are:
    McCutchen, Cabrera, Gomez, J. Upton, D. Gordon, Price, Hamels, Wainright, Cueto. No? (I haven't looked carefully yet.)

What about #10? Cobb? That's a lot of SPs. Gomes? Martinez?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What are your stat categories? That could really impact a one-catagory guy like Hamilton.

I'd keep Harvey over deGrom, who was very lightly regarded as a prospect. Harvey may not pay off huge this year because it often takes two seasons to bounce all the way back, but he should be solid and he could be among the best starters in the game by 2016.

Third round is way to high for Cespedes and I think Tanaka is too big of a risk with his elbow. I think Frazier as a 22nd-rounder is an excellent value, especially if he is eligible at both first base and third. That versatility going into the draft can be a help.

Short answer: On first glance, I'd go with Harvey, Frazier and Hamilton, but a look at your stat categories might change my mind.

3. outofplace

By Cabrera, I assume you mean Miguel?

How many starting pitcher spots do you have in your active lineup? Five starting pitchers does seem like a lot, but I trust Cobb more than I trust Gomes or Martinez. I'm just not sold yet on Martinez and while I like Gomes, catcher is surprisingly deep and he has been a little inconsistent.

I'd go with the nine you listed and Cobb 10th.

4. outofplace

I would keep just one of the closers. Two is too many when you only have eight keeper spots. I think Hanley and Archer are better options than a second relief pitcher.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So you can keep your players indefinitely?
    For hitters we have R, HR, RBI, SB, K, TB and OBP. For pitchers it's W, L, HR against, K, ERA, WHIP and SV/HLD.

Harvey, Frazier and Hamilton do seem like the best value. Hell, I took Harvey and stashed him on IR all year specifically so I could have a stud SP for the next few years. Frazier is, indeed, eligible at both 1b and 3b.

Hamilton finished last season as the 84th ranked player in our league, fifth-best on my team behind Frazier (21), Cespedes (46) Denard Span (54) and Howie Kendrick (71). I'm dropping Harper (first-round pick, ineligible to keep) and Pablo Sandoval (would be a 4th rounder this year).

6. outofplace

I'm surprised Hamilton ranked that high. Seems like he would have less value in a league with 14 categories than a standard 5X5.

7. bigpern23

He could single-handedly win the steals category for you in a week. Consistent steals are so hard to come by, I think Yahoo weighs that. Matt Adams, who I drafted in the 14th round, is a good value, too (.327 OBP, 241 TB), but it's far easier to find a 1B who can hit 15HR and drive in 68 RBI. Hamilton is owned in 93 percent of Yahoo leagues, while Adams is owned in 71 percent.

8. outofplace

So that ranking of Hamilton was a subjective evaluation rather than based purely on numbers? That makes more sense. I think most fantasy rankings overrate steals. He is just so weak in the other categories.

With Adams, you wouldn't want him based on what he did in 2014. You would want him with the hope that he would take a step forward, which is absolutely possible. That said, I think you have to look at Hamilton the same way, hoping he can stop dragging you down in so many other categories. Steals can often be had late. Not at Hamilton's level, but couldn't you get somebody like Ben Revere late in your draft? Is Hamilton really that much better than him?

Again, I'd probably end up keeping Hamilton, too, but Adams would certainly be a tempting alternative.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Used to be you could keep studs for life but we changed it to 3-year limit.

Hitters: BA, runs, TB+W, RBI, SB

Pitchers: W/QS, ERA, K, Saves, WHIP.

10. bigpern23

I'm guessing it's more of an algorithm that takes into account the scarcity of steals, rather than a subjective evaluation.

11. outofplace

Gotcha. Either way, I think it overrates Hamilton. Seems like he would hurt you in every category but steals and runs scored.

12. outofplace

Looks like some leagues still have time before selecting keepers. My keeper league always does it Feb. 15. As always, injuries can become a major factor with over a month between cuts and the draft (Ours is March 27).

One owner already had Victor Martinez questionable for the start of the season. Now he has lost Darvish, likely for the season, and Pence, which seems like it will at least be all of April. Another one just lost Marcus Stroman (we keep 14 players, so it goes a little deeper), who is out for 2015 due to a torn ACL.

I've been there. I traded for Adam Wainwright during the offseason the year he ended up having TJ surgery, so it was a full season later before he pitched for me. (I'm actually glad I couldn't cut him. I ended up waiting it out and he helped me win a couple of championships).

How long do you think is an ideal time between cuts and a draft. I think my league is too long, but maybe a couple of weeks to help with prep?

Draft saved Draft deleted