1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2009 Running Advice Thread.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Jan 27, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I feel your pain as a fellow Rios owner. He is still on my bench in one league, though he is frustrating as hell.

It isn't just that you have to give your stars time, though that is definitely a valid approach. You have to look at why they are struggling and see if there is reason to believe that they will get better.

Teixeira was pretty obvious. He always sucks in April and early May. That alone should have been reason not to give up on him that early. Also, he was adapting to playing for the Yankees, which probably took some time. Also, he was due to get Alex Rodriguez back in the lineup with him, which was going to help everybody get better.

2. outofplace

Is it time to shut down Randy Wells on my fantasy team? He has been lousy in two consecutive starts. I'm wondering if he has hit the wall or if those were just a couple of rough outings.

I'm in the 2nd week of a two-week championship series in one of my keeper leagues. Wells has two starts, so he could either really help me or do a lot of damage. Innings pitched is a category, so that is in his favor. My other option would be to shift guys around and use Scott Downs, who may not even pitch at all due to a hamstring injury.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to be going nuts with this one until rosters lock at 7 p.m. tonight.

3. outofplace

Wow. I forgot I tossed that one out there. I ended up going with Wells and winning the league. :)

Now it's the offseason and I'm working on keeper-league deals. Somebody offered me David Wright for Justin Upton. I realize that Upton hasn't even had a full season as a useful fantasy player and Wright has the track record, but I can't help looking at Wright's meager home run and RBI totals for 2009 (10 and 72) and wonder. Upton is already damn good and he is going to be a monster, plus I already have Sandoval at third base.

Maybe I'm just too attached to my players after winning a championship in that league, too.

Would y'all make that deal?

4. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Nope. But I'm a Mets fan, so take it for what it's worth. Upton might become a stud, but until this year Wright was a top 5-10 overall player. Seems too risky to me.

5. outofplace

Other way around. I have Upton. He offered me Wright.

The funny thing is the guy is a Mets fan and a huge David Wright fan, though he has been trying to get Upton from me since I drafted him before the 2008 season. Obviously, this season has him seriously pissed off, so he offered up Wright.

Man, this one is going to bug me no matter what I do, but my gut says to hang on to Upton.

6. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Oh, well then I would probably take Wright. But I think you're OK either way.

7. outofplace

Thanks. Honestly, I'm just wondering if I'm insane for passing on Wright. I think perhaps I am over-rating my own players, which I tend to do anyway and I'm probably even worse now because I won a title with this squad.

Draft saved Draft deleted