1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2009 Running Advice Thread.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Jan 27, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That last part is irrelevant, because Lincecum is still a Giant and Santana is still a Met. The only difference is the Mets' bullpen might not blow as many potential Santana victories with Rodriguez and Putz finishing games.

It's really close. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Santana is the slightly safer pick. Lincecum is going to provide a big edge in strikeouts.

2. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I'm not sure what that last part means. Lincecum might win 25 games for the Mets. So what? The more I think about it, I might play it safe and take Santana, given the new Mets bullpen. But you can't go wrong either way. Unless one of them gets hurt, of course.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Yeah, I didn't know where I was going with that. I was just typing away. I'd still take Santana, too, even though I'm a huge Linecum fan. When you have Putz and K-Rod closing games, you can't go wrong with that.

4. outofplace

I've got a keeper question. Different league than I mentioned before. This one has 12 teams, with 10 keepers per team. Mixed league.

I have a tentative deal that would get me Mark Teixeira for James Loney and Justin Upton. I will probably have to toss in a draft pick. I was going to keep Loney and Upton, so this creates room for another keeper (Victor Martinez most likely).

Obviously, this is not great for the long run, but I think Upton is replaceable and Teixeira is a big upgrade over Loney. I still have Carlos Lee and Nate McLouth in the outfield.

So, what do y'all think? Am I following the lead of the Yankees and overpaying for Teixeira?

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I like that deal. You know Teixeira is going to give you a .300/30/100+ season while I t hink Loney still has some years to go and I'm not really sold on Upton yet. If you have Lee and McLouth in the outfield, I think you should be set.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I actually love that trade for you depending on the draft pick. Is Justin Upton really going to be that good?

7. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I'm not so sure. I like the deal, but Loney's coming on strong and Upton is due to break out at any time and could be a keeper for a while. And you can't ignore that it would free you up to protect an elite catcher. Tough, tough call. I'd probably lean toward not doing the deal, especially if you have to give up a pick too. That's quite a bit.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

You can always pick up another first basemen on the free agent market, too. Who do you have to replace Upton in the outfield to platoon along with Lee and McLouth?

9. outofplace

Only 10 keepers. I would be keeping Lee, McLouth and Upton in the OF if I don't make a trade.

10. outofplace

Yes, he is, but it probably won't be in '09. Dirty Deeds hit on the sticking point for me. I think the draft pick might be a bit much.

11. outofplace

Well, so much for that. Now the guy wants to convert this to a 3-way trade. I would be getting Adrian Gonzalez for Loney and Justin Upton....and he STILL wants to talk about getting a pick.

Gotta love the old bait-and-switch.

I like Gonzalez, but I'd be nuts to give Loney and Upton for him even without the draft pick, right?

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

That's way too much to give up. If he were drop the demand for a draft pick, I'd go for it. How would the trade work out with a third team involved?

Draft saved Draft deleted