1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2009 Running Advice Thread.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Jan 27, 2009.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Whatever you do, don't draft Denard Span.

He sucks and will have a terrible year.

Thank you in advance.

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I only started playing fantasy last year and I got into a fantasy group a few weeks into the season and I picked up Cliff Lee as my first pitcher because, at that time, he was 6-0 or something and I thought he had a chance to keep that going all season. ::)

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I have both Johan and Lincecum, but I'd go with Lincecum if I had to pick a No. 1. I had a great pitching staff last year, but he was the real consistent force.

I am pretty set on keepers, though I am struggling with two different picks. Keep in mind that OPS, fielding percentage and quality starts are all categories in my league.
    - Dan Uggla over Garrett Atkins, Corey Hart and Jim Thome.
    - Max Scherzer and Chris Volstad in my 25-under keepers, over Taylor Teagarden, Billy Butler, Chase Headley and Matt Harrison.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I might have won my league had Johan's bullpen not shit the bed so many times. :mad:

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I gotta admit, I was very happy to pick up Rich Harden off the free agent market a few weeks before he was activated off the DL. Guy was nearly unhittable.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Santana over Lincecum. Better offense & bullpen should be fine this year.

7. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I might go with Lincecum No. 1, but I'd be happy with Johan, especially since he presumably has a better bullpen this season. I won't be touching Harden. He's a great pitcher, but I think him staying relatively healthy last season was an anomaly. It's no coincidence the guy who picked him last year won our league, but he won't be worth the higher pick this time around in my mind.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I've learned to NEVER take a pitcher with your first pick, especially the first overall pick. You figure you got a pitcher who's on the field every five days rather than a hitter who will be playing everyday. That's just me, though.

It really depends on what kind of league you play in, too, and what kind of statistics are scored for both pitching and hitting.

9. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Sorry, not No. 1 overall, but the No. 1 pitcher. And I also wouldn't take a pitcher in the first round, more than likely. Certain scenarios could change my mind, but I'd probably regret it.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. Also, Santana has proven it over a longer period of time, but is young enough that there is no reason to expect a drop-off.

In a keeper league, however, I'd take Lincecum.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is hard to say without seeing any more of your roster. Uggla is a terrible defender, so I might go with Hart there unless you desperately need a second baseman.

I agree with keeping the two young pitchers. I'm just not sold on any of those hitters. I was a big Butler fan, but so far he seems like he has a long way to go.

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I'll take Linecum for the K's, but Santana had more innings than Linecum last year. Both have their pros and cons, but you gotta take into account that if Linecum played for the Mets, he would have won more games than he did with the Giants.

Draft saved Draft deleted