1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantastic Steve Jacobson column on George Steinbrenner.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Nov 21, 2008.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

sadly, this is very true.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The fan base is clearly appreciative that the front office is willing to spend the money IN AN ATTEMPT (emphasis mine) to put a top-quality product on the field.

Too bad for George that he never could figure out they don't play Fantasy Baseball on the field.

And it obviously speaks volumes that the franchise's last great run was primarily
    engineered while Georgie Porgie wasn't allowed to fully participate in personnel
    decisionmaking. For THAT, Yankee fans should be profoundly grateful.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

So, what, when Yankee fans stood and applauded and chanted "George sucks!" when Steinbrenner was suspended for the second time was just a goof?

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Jacobson has to come out of retirement to write that? Because he's holding a 30-year grudge and, God forbid, Steinbrenner might croak before he gets a chance to skewer him?

An embarassment to himself and the paper.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why is this an embarrassment? Is he factually incorrect on anything he wrote?

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I don't think Steinbrenner croaking would stop Jacobson or change his take on the man.

But he might have been worried that he, Jacobson, might croak before getting to skewer The Boss one more time.

I thought the column was fine. I've read meaner obits.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

All I'm going to say is that a number of George III's so-called personal generosities
    appear to have been motivated in significant part by his gaining a feeling of indebtedness on the part of the recipient, as part and parcel of the bargain.
    Nobody said George hasn't been markedly shrewd at times, in terms of what he can get for his dollars. But I'll be damned if I'm going to nominate him for Humanitarian of the Year, now or ever.

And George should kneel by the side of his bed every evening, and thank his
    personal God for Rivera.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

OK, here's what I wondered reading all the George pieces, pro and con.

Why does everybody come back to him? Why would you ever set foot in Yankee Stadium ever again if you were Dave Winfield? Why did Yogi forgive him? Why didn't Goose say go fuck yourself for good when he left for San Diego? Why does Righetti still speak fondly of the Yankees? Why does Reggie come back there after...OK I know why Reggie came back, b/c he's got a bigger ego than George.

Still though. If I worked for a guy who treated me in such rotten fashion, I'd badmouth him at every turn and never turn back, no matter how he was acting long after the fact.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Because Yogi's a better man? That's a solid place to start.

Like Goose a lot, and glad he got where he wanted to go.

George provided Reggie the stage Reggie felt he deserved.

I can't explain Mr. May or Rags. Personalitywise, have never been able to
    gain a solid grip on either.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh, I agree Yogi is the better man, by a country mile. But he went 14 years without setting foot in YS and doesn't seem driven by the ego of being The Greatest Living Yankee, which he became following Joe D's death. I just don't understand why he went back.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Money

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Didn't Steinbrenner help bankroll the museum that was opened in Yogi's name? I thought that was the basis for the reconciliation.

Beyond that, Yogi's friends had been working on him for years to let go of the grudge.

Draft saved Draft deleted