1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantastic Steve Jacobson column on George Steinbrenner.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

His business decisions helped create the Yankees into what they are today. Worth immense money, with a new stadium and a thriving TV station.

Also, I'm saying he should go to the HOF based on how he much he changed the game and how owners act and run their teams, more so than just the success his teams had.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

But he didn't change the game and how owners act. The system changed, and it changed on the other end, with the Flood case and the subsequent overturn of the reserve clause.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ed Barrow; Charlie Comiskey; Barney Dreyfuss, Clark Griffith; Walter O'Malley; Bill Veeck; Tom Yawkey.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, color me corrected on that part.

I still think Steinbrenner changed the game, though.

He changed how owners act and he changed how owners should treat their teams.

Also, as Buckdub said, he won six World Series and 10 pennants, and that should get him into the HOF alone.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

How so? What's he doing that Yawkey or Veeck didn't do before him?

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

He's fucking crazy?

You and smasher are probably right. I had a history lesson tonight, but I still think Steinbrenner invested more money and committed more money to winning than any other owner. He's set the bar in that regard.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Bottom Line:

PRO: Willing to send as much or more than anyone else, for talent.

CON: Brought a sustained football mentality into a sport where that mindset largely doesn't work.

SO, SO OVERRATED: Did capitalize on the first major wave of free agency in the 70's.
    Other than that, has been markedly less-than-successful since, other than the period which came to pass when he was somehow blessed by God with the personnel expertise of Stick Michael while being constrained by law from personally mucking up what became a very good thing (the late 90s). . .

HOF? For Yankee fanbois, only.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I may be a fan, but I still think he gets in.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You may be right. But I continue to root against Mr. Convicted, for multiple good reasons.

Let the games begin.

10. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

And I still can't help but wonder what would have happened had he ended up buying the Indians instead of the Yankees.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I liked the column, given the understandable tendency to soften criticism at this stage of the subject's life.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

That is what stuck out most to me. In other columns, the general gist was "There will never be another George Steinbrenner." Which is absolutely true.

Jacobson argued that Steinbrenner's abhorrent behavior to employees--front office, support staff, players--and others needs to be remembered.

Draft saved Draft deleted