1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantastic piece on a heartbreaking tale

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ira_Schoffel, May 31, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Thanks, board (right-wing) conscience.

Beautiful photography, also.

Melissa Lyttle is a buddy. Very proud of her, too.

Incredible package, and my hopes are with that young lady and child.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Tremendous piece and humility, sir.

Very illuminating.

3. andykent

andykent Member

And we appreciate you taking the time to do so. As has been said before, the posts were well-deserved and this type of work is what should give us all hope about the future of our industry.

4. Big_Space

Big_Space Member

Very cool...this board needs more interaction like this.

Thanks John

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Great, great story, and I think the multimedia online is a model for how newspapers can complement a story with online-only elements. Nothing I've seen or read has given me the respect I now have for Memorial Day.

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

John,

This is an excellent piece. I don't mean to pummel you with questions, but I have two.

1. When you do this sort of piece, what percentage of your time goes to the big project and how much is set aside for other things? Okay, I apologize, here's a follow-up: Did you ever feel that you were putting too much time into it?

2. Did you make a conscious decision to limit various opinions on the war? Because I'm sure many of the people you interviewed were quick to defend the war or criticize it. I can see that popping up in almost any conversation.

7. John,

Thanks for your input about the story. You did a masterful job. Nobody here thinks you are being self-indulgent. I think almost everyone here recognizes good journalism when they read it, and the reason we're here is to learn from one another.

Keep writing. I look forward to reading you in the future.

8. andykent

andykent Member

Huck,

Now was that so hard? ;D

This is why I wanted to keep this thread prominent, the interaction and good discussion, especially now that John has helped shed more light on the process

9. Andrew, we all know you have a crush on John -- not that there's anything wrong with that. It's ok to admit it. We won't think differently of you. ;)

10. andykent

andykent Member

Well aren't you just the budding comedian. ::)

And my mother is the only one who calls me Andrew, usually after I've done something bad.

Anyway, I think I'll refrain from posting on this thread for a little while and let it run its course. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted