1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantastic piece on a heartbreaking tale

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ira_Schoffel, May 31, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Outstanding. Every couple years or so the Times will deliver a pullout-section story like this that is just phenomenal (and some have won Pulitzers, so I don't discount what Birdscribe said one bit.) But I'm just glad John Romano did it, he's a good guy and a terrific journalist.

2. That's as strong a piece as you'll find. The part about the dusty overalled baggage handler saluting the casket blindsided me. Excellent, excellent work.

3. Gorndawg

Gorndawg New Member

Wow, just wow. Amazing story and as well put together as anything I've read in awhile.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

That was amazing. I got about 12 words in and started bawling. It was a fantastic piece.

5. romano

romano New Member

Thanks everyone.

Probably a little overboard, but I do appreciate it.

john

6. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

JOHN!

Thanks so much for coming. Would you indulge us by answering a few questions about the piece?

As a learning tool, I'm interested in the writing process. Any info you can share about the outlining of the story? Did the final product reflect the original outline, or was it much different? How many rewrites?

And since Thomas French is one of my favorite writers, I was wondering if you consulted him at all. I would put this right up there with his Angels & Demons.

John, thank you so much for doing this piece. The reporting was incredible, the writing superb, and the editing flawless. This was your perfect game.

And no, I don't think we're not being over the top.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Probably not. Outstanding work.
    Do not be a stranger.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes, very touching.

9. andykent

andykent Member

No, not overboard, trust me on this one. I just forwarded it on to a slew of people and already got two responses that mirror what has been posted here.

Top-notch, and I'm commenting again to prevent this thread from dropping off the front page here. It deserves more exposure. ;D

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

This is the part that got me:

So humanizing. So amazing.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Uhhh no. Nothing overboard about any of it, John. The kudos is not out of line.

The reviews keep coming in. Ex boss -- a former editor at the Virginian Pilot, Riverside Press-Enterprise, Desert Sun and Inland Valley (LA) Times -- said:

"It took about two hours for me to read it -- I had to keep walking away to get my emotions under control. This is what real journalism is all about, and why it's still relevant.... If it doesn't win a Pulitzer, there's no justice in the world."

Even though it took me "only" 45 minutes to read it in a golf media center, I couldn't agree more.

Feel free to comment on Ira Schoffel's questions and we'd love to hear some insight on how this transpired.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Makes me so proud to know that journalism does still exist.

So powerful, so sad, so necessary for everyone to read -- regardless of how you feel about the war.

Draft saved Draft deleted