1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantastic Four 2 -- You pumped?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by rokski2, Jun 12, 2007.

1. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Sorry if this is a d_b, I searched to see if there was anything close to it.

I was somewhat pumped, but after seeing the trailer while watching Game 3 of the Finals, I'm liking some of these epic-sized effects.

Now I'm pumped. Of course there will be some camp, but it's looking pretty cool. Love Fishburne (sp?) as the voice of the Surfer.

2. boots

boots New Member

I plan on catching up on all my movies this weekend. FF, Spidey, Shrek III and knocked up.

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

It should be heads and shoulders above the first. At least I hope so..

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Trailers are notoriously bad bases on which to judge movies, but the trailers for FF2: ROTSS look very good.

From various comments from pre-release interviews, they seem to understand they totally screwed up the character of Dr. Doom in the first movie, and at least planned on doing it better this time around.

I'd give FF about a C grade -- it wasn't horrible as many critics caterwauled -- the special effects, always a huge item in superhero films, were pretty decent, and the FF actors themselves were actually pretty true to character -- but the complete botching of the storyline of Doom, who is only the primary villain in the whole FF saga, really tanked what could have been a fairly decent flick.

At least I have some hope this one should be better. The heat is really on the Fantastic Four franchise to pick up the ball that Spider-Man 3 is pretty much dropping for the Marvel roster.

5. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Great points, Starman. They did really botch Doom, and you just can't do that with such an important character.

I agree, this one (based on trailers) looks much better. I enjoyed the first one, but there were certainly some weaknesses and I could stand less camp. This one looks a little more serious and it seems like it looks better. Should be interesting.

Boots - sounds like a plan. I need to do that, too.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Spider-Man 3 was one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time ... and I LOVED the first two as a former comic book nerd.

That said, I was a big fan of Silver Surfer in the comic books, so I am hoping this one does him justice. At least a better job that Spidey 3 did to Venom.

7. boots

boots New Member

Like I said I plan on seeing Spidey this weekend but from the trailers I could tell that they put too many villains in the flick. That's a mistake. I'm surprised the Vulture, Electro and the Rhino were included.
    I'm a comic book purist. If there is no Galactus the Silver Surfer will be pretty weak.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I thought the 'Fantastic Four' was absolutely terrible.
    Our critic says this one is better, which is damning with faint praise.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Will they show Galactus? Isn't that who the Surfer toils for?

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Doubt it. I think they are simply throwing him into the Fantastic Four series to draw more comic book nerds = me.

11. boots

boots New Member

The Silver Surfer is Galactus' sentinel. He scouts planets for Galactus to feed off of. That's according to the comic book.
    In the movie, I don't think Galactus will make an appearance. Nor will the Watcher, who warns the FF in the comics about Galactus.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Boots, I applaud your knowledge of comics. I thought I was the only one.

Draft saved Draft deleted