1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantastic coincidences

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I've got one...was dating a girl the summer between high school and college and got my dorm assignment in the mail. Went to talk to her mother and she asked what dorm I was in. I said "Shithole" and she asks "What room?" I told her 101 and she said "Oh, that's funny, John (my girlfriend's father) lived in 102 Shithole when he went to Awesome U."

Fast forward to move-in day (FWIW, no longer dating the girl, but we still talked). I notice my phone number is different from what they told me it would be, but think nothing of it. Two months into the semester, my roommate and I enter the dorm to maintenance people switching the number plates above the doors. Turns out they'd been switched before, so the room I thought was 101 Shithole was 102 Shithole. I'd been bringing girls back (well, trying with little success) to my ex-girlfriend's dad's old room.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

" ... there are just coincidences!" [/Rava]

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Not big or fantastic, but strange.

I'm in New York one day this summer, walking along 57th Street not far from Carnegie Hall. I look to my left and Martin Scorcese is walking right beside me. About an hour later, several blocks away, I find myself standing on a street corner next to Spike Lee.

Also so Tory Holt and Chuck Klosterman that day.

4. In Exile

In Exile Member

Got a couple:

1) In 1989 I drove my friend Anthony, who was moving from Boston to San Francisco, to SF in a drive-away car. Upon arrival we go to my friend Bob's apartment in the Haight to crash. Bob is there, and some guy I had never met is sitting on the couch. Bob and Anthony have never met. Anthony has one remote contact in SF, a friend of a friend who he had never met who lives in a camper and parks each night somewhere else in SF - no phone number, no address, no way to contact him. Anthony asks Bob if he has ever heard of the guy.

Bob says, "You're f-ing sitting next to him." He was the guy on the couch. The next day, the earthquake hit precisely 24 hours after we were on the bridge in Oakland that collapsed.

2) I was once stalked by a crazy woman who walked into my office one day and claimed I lived under her stairs and raped her. A few years later I was telling the story to a writer acquaintance. He had been stalked by the exact same crazy woman who accused him of the exact same thing.

3) Then last week I'm doing a tv spot in a city I've visited twice and I'm in the green room with other guests, including some local print reporters there for an entirely other topic. Guy jumps up and shakes my hand. About fifteen years ago, when he was a teacher, he had me speak to his class.

Draft saved Draft deleted