1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantastic coincidences

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Oct 11, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm generally an empiricist, but this stuff weirded me out ...

First, I'm on vacation in Orlando. Fam and I are in line at the Tower of Terror when we strike up a conversation with the group in front of us. Turns out they're from the same town we are. Guy's first name is same as mine, their daughter's first name is same of mine. Then we go into a ride based on the Twilight zone. Strange.

But that's not all. Ten years ago, we went and I got picked as an extra for the Indiana Jones stunt show. Kewl. So today I got picked again. What are the odds? Both times out of a crowd of 5,000 or so, I'm selected to go on stage. Sure, 1 in 5,000, but 10 years apart? All this just really struck me as odd.

Your thoughts? Your own experiences?

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Make sure you went home with the right family.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Went to a Denver Zyphers game at old Mile High many moons ago. Guy playing for the other team went to high school with my wife, graduated in the same class. He hits a foul ball, I get it.

Sort of met him years later at the 20-year reunion. What a douchenozzle.

4. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I wouldn't risk sleeping tonight, Novelist.

5. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I had one recently that really blew my mind. My girlfriend got a job this summer working in the city and to ease on the commute lived with three girls who were originally from Ireland and were visiting here for an extended period of time. Two weeks ago, one of my good friends sends me a link to this photo album a girl we grew up with put online, and lo and behold, one of the Irish girls was in that photo album. That, to me, was pretty incredible.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The Post printed a story a few weeks back, where a woman on the Metro struck up a conversation with a guy roughly 20 years younger wearing a hat from the area she grew up in. As she starts talking he mentions growing up in the same area as her, and then the same block. Finally she describes the same house, which is in Kansas btw, that she grew up in. Address, neighbors, everything. Turns out, this guy's parents had bought the house from her parents, and they literally grew up in the same fucking bedroom with the same neighbors, and met each other for the first time about a thousand or so miles away from that same home.

Now, kids, THAT is a fucking coincidence.

7. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

That's incredible. Do you have a link? Or should I get to searching?

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I have no link. I've spent the past few minutes looking in the archives. It was in some sort of blog or column that usually runs on page 3 of the dead tree edition of the Metro section, but they started that particular one on page one. Maybe a Postie or someone familiar with the section can find it. It was really an amazing story and if I could find it I'd post it.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Are you sure it isn't IRONIC? Because, you know, if you were on TV, it would be.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

If I wanted to start another Alanisjack, I'd suggest it was like rain on your wedding day. But of course, I could never be a party to that ...

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

My whole dating life has been a coincidence. I wouldn't say they are fantastic. Here we go.

I meet this girl off of the Internet. She seems like a good girl. I meet her, we hang out. Within the first two dates, I'm hitting triples like Jimmy Rollins. She tells me how her one friend always talks about her behind her back and she doesn't know how she is friends with her and so on. There is so much drama with this girl. So we go out a few more times, and I don't feel like making it anything permanent, so I decide to ease back off her. She calls me and I just tell her it wasn't working out and that's that.

Fast forward to the next summer. I meet a girl at the mall and turns out she has a beach house. I go down there, and we pretty much decide it's going to be one night where no one cares what happens. We have our fun and during the night she shows me her MySpace page, and believe it or not, she shows me the first girl I messed around with. Turns out they are best friends.

Senior year of college, I hook up with his girl at a semi-formal, actually, she grabs my tie and forces herself on me. A week later, I am at another party, and I go home with this girl and have fun, and it turns out the girl at the semi-formal and her are best friends. They ask me why am I playing them and stuff. I told them I had no idea. Case closed.

I meet my last girlfriend and it turns out her older sister is best friends with the girl I hooked up with at the semi-formal. The semi-formal girl tells her that I am bad news and how she should not date me. She disregarded the warning (which is not true) and we go along our merry way. We break up 4 months later.

I meet this next girl at my other job (lifeguarding) and we hit it off. I take her to a MMA fight between Kimbo Slice and Ray Mercer and we have a great time. Before we leave for the fight, she tells me she needs to get her shoes from her friend's house. I said oh ok, where does your friend live, since I was driving. She directs me, and I remember the house. It was the first girl's house and she was the one who was telling me about this girl I was on a date with and how she always talks behind her back and that ilk.

So in conclusion, I officially twisted myself into a triangle of lust between all of these groups of friends. I bet they all know about it, but they played it off well, or they just didn't care. Since I moved 600 miles away from home, hopefully I will never meet another girl who knows one of those friends, but the way my sex life has gone so far, I might end up not so lucky.

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Hah, now that's some weird shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted