1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fans who get press passes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Peon, Mar 24, 2016.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Yeah me too.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes, this is true. A lot of them do decent work.

Nevertheless, the recruiting site trend has hurt coverage of the CFB industry for three reasons:

1. These joints run anonymous message boards that serve as bad rumor mills.

2. There's a fairly strong PR bent to some of their work. Even if it's good work, it comes off as PR - straight from the coach's mouth. As in, if a scandal were to break open, a lot of these sites would just sit it out and let the professional news organizations handle it.

3. "We knew that, we just didn't report it" syndrome.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Generally, they're well-sourced right up to the point where something unsavory needs to be reported, then they take care of the coaches who feed them recruiting info. That's where the animosity comes in. Most reporters aren't in the business of cozying up to the 28-year-old running backs coach who looks like he hasn't slept in three days because the reporters need to find out if he's offering a three-star out of Atlanta.

Ace likes this.
  4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Some of us are assholes. Or pretend to be on message boards.

I have no complaint with somone writing on a website like Rivals, Scout or even their own blog -- unless they have a habit of "repackaging" the work of others.

5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Wanted to offer you stick taps. I managed a general interest website for three years. It's not something I'd do again, but I don't regret a minute of it. Some of the twenty-odd (some very odd) writers and photographers who worked with me raised their profiles and found other work. It opened doors for me, too. I shut down the web-magazine thingie because a.)I'm not good at being a leader. and b.) I didn't have the chops to monetize it. Now I'm back to writing and happier for it. Good luck! I hope you guys keep moving onward and upward.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think several said this above - I don't think anybody bats an eye if the people are acting in a professional manner and the work is objective. The Capitals, for instance, are very open to "new" types of outlets and some of them do outstanding work. I hired a guy in DC who was working for a similar outlet, though he had previous experience at a traditional outlet. Carry yourself professionally, do good work.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Would it be right to report this? I'm guessing it's no different than hearing the coaches on the sideline.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Eastern Mass. high school Super Bowls were banned from the old Foxboro Stadium in the '80s because an assistant coach punched a huge hole in the coach's box.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You probably could, but I'm not sure how newsworthy it is. Coaches swear a lot, and they get fired up during a game. Not really breaking news there. Maybe you could do it as a funny notebook item or work it into the story if you overhear something during one of the game's key plays.

10. eddie.johnson

eddie.johnson New Member

Had a phone call last week from a Division I university regarding a credential request from a photographer who claimed to be shooting for us. Not only had I never spoken with this person, I'd never even heard her name before. Apparently, she's a fan girl who likes to ingratiate herself with the student-athletes, hugging them and cheering. Needless to say, I made sure she didn't get a credential.

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I have not. But if they act professional, I really don't give a shit who they work for.

TexasVet, JordanA and Batman like this.
  12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Leave Mike Brey out of this.

Draft saved Draft deleted