1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fans sue to stop NFL pat downs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Jan 7, 2009.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/san_francisco&id=6586775

Interesting case. A pair of NFL fans in San Francisco are suing the 49ers for invasion of privacy because of their policy to pat down all fans entering stadiums.

It's an interesting case of how do we as a society balance one's right to privacy with the need for security.

I, for one, always hate getting patted down at NFL games. I hate it when Sam's Club makes me show them my receipt for the items I just purchased.

I understand why they do it and know that there's at least some need for it, but I just hate being treated like a criminal when I am not one. I think that, in many ways, goes against the ideals our country was founded upon.

I also get the sneaking suspicion that the reason for NFL pat downs has more to do with preventing people from sneaking beer into the stadium and forcing them to pay $8.25 for a Bud Light than it does security.

Tough case.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It ain't a right to go to an NFL game, so I would tell plaintiffs to fuck off.

But, I think some similar case went fans' way in Tampa a few years ago.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I feel like pat downs are more strict after 9/11, so saying the cost of a beer has anything to do with it is absurd.

Anyway, if it helps make the stadium safer, I am all for it. Pat me down all you like. Just don't get too friendly.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Some weeks the pat down was the most action I could get.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Ding, ding, ding.

6. bigpern23

They didn't institute the pat downs until 2005, four years after 9/11, so suggesting that's what prompted it is equally absurd.

If it was truly about safety, and not checking for smuggled beers, wouldn't they have metal detectors instead of pat downs? Bomb sniffing dogs?

Can they really tell if you have 12 sticks of dynamite strapped to your chest when you're wearing four layers of shirts and a winter jacket? Of course not. But they can probably feel if you have a beer in your pocket.

The more I think about it, the less pat downs make me feel any safer.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Is there any proof it makes the stadium safer?

And having all the fans attend naked would make the stadium safer too. Except at Jets games.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Damn.
    On another note, it's good to pat down some of these bozos. I don't want to sit next to a guy who is packing, getting tanked and watching his team get drilled. It's not a good combination.

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Often, the level of security employed is dictated by insurance considerations. Pat downs probably mean a lower terrorism insurance rate for the NFL team and the stadium.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I was patted down at three games in 2001. The last three NFL games I went to. I'm a Lions fan, so that's why I don't go to NFL games anymore. Anyway, it's been going on before 2005.

11. bigpern23

This case specifically involves the 49ers and according to the story, they began in 2005. Lions don't matter at all in this discussion. Perhaps you ought to read the story before commenting further?

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So you've been to a Raiders game, then?

Draft saved Draft deleted