1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fan's recording of high-school kid's 'flagrant fouls' goes viral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Jan 5, 2012.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I've always known this to be true - the bullies are the biggest pussies on the block and the first time someone stands up to them is the last time they bully.

I would be willing to bet a lot of money if one of those two fat asses caught a nice hard elbow in the nose and need plastic surgery to put their face back together, they'd think twice about being goons for the rest of the season.

2. KP

KP Active Member

Is it me or does #2 appear that the rebounder steps out of bounds before the foul is called (also looks like a call could have been made on a push underneath).

uncle clearly doesn't know what a flagrant foul is.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Ding, ding.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Guards come into the paint, they pay. The pushing foul on loose ball sequence is the only one I would question.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Not the lowbridge?

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Just watched the clothesline foul again. Sure the kid is an asshole for laughing, but he really just stuck out his arm. It's not his fault he weighs 250 and has man strength while the guard is 130 soaking wet. It's a foul for sure, but I think it looks worse than it really was.

And I kind of agree with Boom. No easy buckets in the paint. If you come in, you're going to pay and you'll think twice about coming in next time. This is how the game was played in the 1980s, when it was good.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://sportsyakima.com/2011/12/prep-basketball-connell-boys-edge-highland/

Please note who had the game winner and the name of the leading scorer on the losing team.

Were the fouls rough? A couple, yes. Should they have been flagrent? Possibly.

Is this worth slamming the kids on the internet? No. And the uncle is starting to dance a fine legal line with the harassment of these kids.

Maybe the uncle should post the entire game on the internet so people can get a better picture of how this all played out?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe the kids should go to the police and file an assault charge. It's on film. The police would at least have to investigate.

9. 1) The uncle doesn't know the difference between an obvious foul and a flagrant foul.
    2) 1, 2, 3, and 6 are obvious fouls.
    3) 4 is a Flagrant I foul, what used to be called an intentional foul.
    4) 5 is a Flagrant II foul, two shots, possession and immediate ejection for an intent to injure. Taken in the context of the entire game, it's a no-brainer what 34 was trying to do. Taken by itself, it's still a Flagrant II. Just stuck out his arm? Yeah -- that's why it's called a clothesline tackle. And it doesn't belong in basketball. It's not even close to being an attempt on the ball. And the offensive player is past the defender when he reaches out at head height for a ball that's on the other side of the dribbler.

But did you catch the reaction of the baseline ref on foul No. 3, the shot to the head on the pump fake? Never moved, never signaled. Maybe the tape ended too quickly, but on balance, these refs weren't up to snuff.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I agree with the above.

Bring in thugs to offset these bullies? Clotheslining guards in a high school game in Tri Cities, WA is acceptable?

I can't tell what is sarcasm on this board, and what isn't. But what those thugs doing wasn't basketball. The answer isn't to escalate. It is to remove them from the game.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Poindexter thinks hugs are better than thugs.

12. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Thank you, Mr. Himmler.

Draft saved Draft deleted