1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fan's recording of high-school kid's 'flagrant fouls' goes viral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Jan 5, 2012.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

So, the uncle of a player on one team says this basketball league needs better referees because the other team gets away with flagrant fouls all the time. Uncle then records a game and posts the video online and causes a shitstorm. A high-school basketball player has now become Public Enemy No. 1:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Video-of-flagrant-foul-no-calls-at-basketball-ga?urn=highschool-wp10756

Link to the original story provides more details:

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2012/01/04/1774000/high-school-basketball-video-shows.html

2. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Probably doesn't help the player's cause that he's pretty paunchy and looks 30.

3. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Just watched the whole video. I'd add that it doesn't look like he can play the game at all, and is just out there flailing away.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My knee-jerk reaction before seeing it was that it was a lame, whiny move by the dad.

Then I watched the video. Damn. I'm surprised there wasn't a brawl, except that the other team looks terrified of the fat kid already.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah I was actually on the kids' side for the first three fouls -- they were hard fouls and called as such, but they could be viewed generously as innocent attempts at defense by clumsy and unskilled players.

Then I got to the clothesline that was called a "hold." That's where they lost me.

Funny that after one of them (I think clothesline), you can see the old-school ref yukking it up with one of the offenders while the other team gets ready for a free throw.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

No. 5 could have led to serious injury.

7. LongTimeListener

The problem is the kids seem to be taking all the grief when they should be the secondary targets. Most of this should fall on the coach who tolerates (and probably orders) this.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

After watching that video, I'm probably more disgusted at the Cornell coach than the kid. That had to be condoned somewhere.

9. LongTimeListener

Creosote -- see my post above. I think you and I (and shottie) were posting at the same time.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Our public lives are now pretty much exposed to anything on the internet.

The kid driving the lane was subject to potential serious injury by the ham-fisted bully.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If you don't want to look like a fat bully on the internet, quit playing one on the basketball court.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And I do have to add, you get to the point where that kid is barreling down the lane, and you can stick your arm out and low-bridge your opponent, or you can foul him while protecting him from injury. And the decision made says a lot about the person.

Draft saved Draft deleted