1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fans on courtside

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportpro, Feb 16, 2008.

1. sportpro

sportpro New Member

Who started this garbage trend, taking seats from press row? I cover a Major D-I program and we have been delegated the end zones. I don't think fans, no matter how much money you have, should be on courtside. ... desturbing trend that just sucks! Goes to show you the power of a dollar!

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

As you'll probably come to find out on this thread, you're not alone.

3. Notepad

Notepad Member

Try "relegated" not "delegated"...
    and how "desturbing" does a trend have to be to "disturbe" you?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It means that the college doesn't think the media coverage brings more money in than courtside seats. I am not a fan of being courtside anyway. I like being a few rows up at least.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

One of the perks of covering a small D-I school is that even with courtside seats, there's room on the abbreviated press row for me to sit — and there are usually a couple of empty seats on each side of me.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

As John notes, the sick thing is this is trickling down to mid-majors who can't draw flies to the regular seats yet somehow think they're going to get $25 for a folding chair courtside.

It'll end the first time a kid gets whaled in the face by a flying player. I, for one, can't wait.

7. I have a few major problems with this.
    Of course it makes our job harder, because there are certain things we miss if we get moved to corners or higher up.
    But the school doesn't care about that. What it should care about is we represent a lot of their fans. We are still the way fans get to know the team.
    Athletic programs seem to think they don't benefit from us anymore. I beg to differ. If the media has no positive effect for them, why do they always bend over backwards to get their games on TV?
    What would happen if we just stopped covering them? Sure, the fans would take it out on us in the short run but the school would really suffer as time went on.
    Also, those rich bastards that sit courtside are, in my experience, the quietest fans in any arena.
    If they're going to bump us, at least put the students courtside so you establish more of a home-court advantage.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

This has been standard in the NBA for quite a while now.
    I believe it began with the Lakers and the Jack Nicholson seats...as far back as the "Fabulous Forum"

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Typos happen. Don't be a complete dick.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i have 14k posts and don't spillchick everyfukingtime. if i had 11, i would.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

When the Forum was built, there was no press box. It was an oversight. Then JK Cooke wasn't going to pull out the expensive seats for the press. Press box wound up above the walkway in the colonnade. Chick Hearn coined "Word's-eye view" from bird's-eye view.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The last time I was going to complain about not being courtside, I was given an endline press seat at the Pac-10 Tournament. Turns out the Oregon cheerleaders were right in front of me. So I didn't bother complaining.

Draft saved Draft deleted