1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fans injured at Daytona

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 23, 2013.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

One of the SportsCenters after the race led with the crash but first mentioned Danica, where she finished and that her pole car was not in the crash. Uninformed and absolutely asinine, even for ESPN.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Figure the cars are doing 150+ or so, coming to the checkered flag. Faster if it's Cup.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

NASCAR is doing everything in its power to suppress this story. And given the compliant media posse that travels week to week in adoration of the sport, that won't be too difficult.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It looked to me that when the car hit that gate, a bunch of debris just blew through it into the crowd. Like it was a weak point and buckled instantly. I was wondering what was involved there structurally, so that must have been the gate.

I was in the stands at Daytona one year, way back when the fence wasn't as big, and I went down to lean into it as the cars blew past. All that noise and power and fury, passing right below me. ... And then Bill Elliott's car climbed the wall and looked as if it was coming right at me, and I thought I was a goner.

And then somehow Elliott got the car down. It was a thrill, and it was really scary.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I don't think they can eliminate the gates in the fence completely, but they'll have to do something to make sure they are no longer weak points when shut.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

They can definitely eliminate them, at least at the big tracks. That's why they have tunnels.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Impractical. The tunnel would have to go from the backside of the grandstand to the inside of pit road. At Daytona, a tunnel in the tri-oval would be a half mile long, as well as under sea level. They're just going to have to make the gate areas stronger when they are shut.

8. imjustagirl

Uh, there are tunnels at Daytona now. Several, actually. It's how the infield happens.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I know next to nothing about auto racing but I assume those gates have nothing to do with moving people to the infield.

10. imjustagirl

That's exactly what they have to do with. They're open before the race so fans can climb on the track, sign the start/finish line, go to the pre-race concert, etc.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Damn, I can't believe they let people on the track on a race day.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

If it's before the race, what's the big deal?

Draft saved Draft deleted