1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fans injured at Daytona

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Would explain perfectly NASCAR's sudden rush to yank the video down.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Perhaps. Probably. I sure hope not.

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Restrictor plates aren't the answer, never have been. Time for a new idea, NASCAR. Praying for the fans hit by debris.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Then again, there are some sites that wouldn't back down. You can bet Deadspin won't take it down. YouTube is about as pro-establishment as you can get.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The waiver on the back of tickets may or may not extend to survivors. I hope no one dies with all my heart, but if they do, that'll be litigated.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That was taken down, but other NASCAR videos are left up. Either go after all your copyright violators or none. Not just one that's hot right this second.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

All three network news shows showed at least part of the video, so NASCAR was way too late.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

You can still see it on the Deadspin site. Unreal crash.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Waivers go out the window in cases of death or serious injury.

Lawyers bring the argument the waivers are accepted without informed consent: who the hell reads .3-point type on the back of a ticket?

In order to fight the suit, the defense essentially has to say "tough shit, you should have known better."

Sometimes it works legally, but it's always a public relations fiasco.

In a somewhat-related vein, back in my youth coaching days, I was told by several lawyers, "yeah, have the parents sign release of liability waivers, but be aware if the kid gets seriously hurt you're probably going to get sued anyway."

10. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

This was from the comment section of the Deadspin coverage, from USA Today:

As the field raced to the white flag signaling the final lap, Regan Smith's car was turned sideways.

"'I threw a block there," Smith said. 'I knew Brad (Keselowski) was going to try to make a move on me. ... If I'm in the same situation tomorrow (in the Daytona 500), I'll do the same thing again.'"

Fan might have died, dozens injured and this asshole is talking about how he would do the same thing tomorrow. Unbelievable.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The wreck wasn't his fault. And any driver would've done the same.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

It's all Regan Smith's fault. ::)

http://goo.gl/fb/5RliI

Draft saved Draft deleted