1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fans injured at Daytona

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I know the NASCAR thread is covering this, but I thought it warranted a breakout.

This video was shot by a guy a few feet from where the tire landed in the grandstand.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Jesus, that's a fucking tire in the seat.

Might want to make those fences a little higher.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The height wouldn't have mattered when debris goes through the damn thing.

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I very much hope that guy took off his shirt to cushion a head, not cover a face.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Copyright Nazis blocked it.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Deadspin has the fan video posted.

http://deadspin.com/5986464/todays-nascar-nationwide-race-at-daytona-ended-with-kyle-larsons-car-going-through-the-security-fence-and-torn-in-half

I took a nap this afternoon, woke up and checked FB on my phone. Saw a few million posts about this. Clicked on Deadspin and nearly vomited when watching that fan video. Not because it shows anything graphic (it doesn't REALLY) but it shows enough to let you imagine how graphic it is.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

This is some bullshit. There's no reason NASCAR should have any sway over what a fan posts on youtube. Youtube should have told NASCAR to stuff it.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I just can't figure out how that tire didn't kill somebody.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's out in the world. I am sure plenty of lawyers will have their hands on it in minutes.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The waiver signing away any rights is on the back of the ticket. As it is in every major league sport.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it didn't, and wouldn't be surprised if that's what we hear in a few hours.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, they said one person had "critical injuries" and "head trauma" which I can only assume is that fan. And yeah, I see no way he survived.

Draft saved Draft deleted