1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fans at press conferences

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micke77, Jan 11, 2009.

1. micke77

micke77 Member

HammerPants...i cringe at the clapping at a press conference. i can't stand it. i want to leave right then.
    also, i have noticed in recent years the traditional preseason "Media Day" for football have practically been intermixed with what they like to call a FanFest.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily have a problem with the boosters/alumni in the press conferences -- as long as they respect the rules of the room. Don't cheer or groan, don't applaud, just listen and act in a courteous and professional manner. And the SID should make that clear right off the top, as he's introducing the coach and players. It should be like a press box. Even if you don't belong there, act like you do and we're cool.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How long after the game was it? Nothing like trying to listen to a tape of, or even hear the first time, a conversation with a coach when there's a couple thousand fans raising a ruckus and the pep band blaring out the school fight song at 130 decibels.

4. micke77

micke77 Member

Batman....i can tolerate it to an extent if they remain quiet and "blend in with the crowd", but fans or local yokels being what they are, there's that urge to exclaim their support of said team.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

In the past three years, the Division I hoops team I cover has added this twist -- some of these fan boy jackasses have joined the crowd around players and begun asking questions like....

"You were really great out there, you must have really wanted to win, huh?"

I've actually come closer to throwing fists in the past three years at one of these things far more times than ever before.

6. micke77

micke77 Member

a similar thing happened to me this past Saturday afternoon when some fan dude walks right up to the interview that another writer and myself were trying to conduct with a player and a coach. this turd asks the first question like he was in the media. ridiculous. that's the very reason why i am going to probably suggest to the SID this week NOT to conduct interviews on the court after the game. it just opens it up to this kind of crap.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

uh, a little bit of over-reacting, don't ya think?

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Does anyone recall Petrino's first media session at Arkansas? Disgraceful.

9. micke77

micke77 Member

can't recall the Petrino conference. how bad was it?

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

The pig salute did me in.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The bigger problem is why grown men would spend money to become jock-sniffers around a college football program.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

It makes them feel important. Even if they are worth a $100 million, there, apparently, is no power trip quite like being one of the top boosters for a football program.

Draft saved Draft deleted