1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fans at press conferences

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micke77, Jan 11, 2009.

1. micke77

micke77 Member

Was curious how many out there have to deal with fans, influential alumni, etc., being in attendance and even asking questions at press conferences, postgame interviews, etc.?
    i am finding this to becoming increasingly a trend in our area.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My university has finally shut it down in the past two games. Prior to that, it was a problem.

Alumni and donors not as much as fanboy freelance photographers, etc., that can get access to the media room, but shouldn't be in there during press conferences.

3. micke77

micke77 Member

at an early season game i covered for our local university, we had more fans and alumni at the postgame gig than media. and being that their team had just won a game against a highly favored foe, they went giddy when they brought the coach and players in. it was extremely distracting and unprofessional. they kept cell phones on, jabbered amidst questions by the media, etc. i voiced a complaint/concern/whatever you wanna call it to local SID and he told me his "hands were tied" because of influential alumni, that they would get pissed off if told they couldn't be in there. ridiculous and hoakey if you ask me. extremely distracting.
    it did get a little better after several games, but there's still that fan/school officials/alumni element that remains a part of what I believe should be MEDIA ONLY event.
    i also covered a basketball game this past saturday afternoon where interviews with coaches/players were set up on the court after the game. of course, you know what happens in that case: fans walk up and become a part of the interviewing process, even when SID helpers are trying to discourage it.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Money talks, media walks.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

LSU has been pretty bad about this at times. John Brady used to play to the boosters in the room. When Nick Saban said he was staying (in January 2004) rather than going to the Chicago Bears, boosters and staff in the conference room began cheering. Those who heard the audio or saw the clip on ESPN assumed the media was cheering for Saban. Ugh.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

This is something that the football writer's should address with schools because it is ridiculous -- there is nothing more ridiculous when a coach who is being criticized in the media or being embattled and he walks into the room after a big win and gets a standing ovation.

That's bull shit.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I would be all for the FWAA, USBWA, etc. fighting for this cause. It drives me crazy. My beat does it from time to time, and others are worse. It's unprofessional and ridiculous.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Good luck getting anyone except us to give a shit.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Few things make me angrier than press conference clapping.

But you're right. I don't see it changing.

10. Johnny Dangerously

If you can get it done, there's a place for you in my administration.

11. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Speaking of clapping at a press conference, what was the situation with Giambi's return to Oakland? Lot of clapping in that one, too...I assumed it all came from A's staffers and managment...but it was enough to be noticeable.

12. micke77

micke77 Member

after that early football game that i had mentioned in my initial post, i was so upset i could hardly write my gamer. i was absolutely pissed because of the sheer unprofessionalism and, even moreso, the practically could-care-less attitude of the university officials. and there have been times at other places where, when the media has asked what is perceived to be a "negative" question, such individuals would all but hiss or groan.
    the media isn't going to win in this matter, not when it has to go up against influential donors who want to be in on such events. can't you see a university president or chancellor laughing when told that these dudes can't be in there because the media doesn't think it is professional.

Draft saved Draft deleted