1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fanhouse Writer has Issue with Gill Tight Ship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I doublle checked by-line to see if writer was a male. It had the tone of a female upset that her ability to interact with Jayhawk football players would be hampered.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Gill is a really good guy who I'm guessing parents will love during recruiting season. I agree the rule is a bit strict, but if it was midnight, instead of 10 p.m. would anyone blink.

I never thought I'd see the day where I was defending a KU coach. :D

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think the big part of it is that the ban is against athletes being with women after 10 p.m. A curfew, if there is one, is a different rule.

In other words, from what I'm reading of it, it's OK to be hanging out with men after 10, but not women. Not only does it not take into account any gay relationships that may take place, but men can get in trouble with the law with other men after 10 p.m., too.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If this was a year-round rule, I would have a problem with it, but it's only for four months.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Par for the course for that guy.

6. Baron Scicluna

Should be for zero months, unless they are on a road trip with the team.

If college sports is going to be a financial business, then what the athletes do is a job. What they do on their own private time should be their business.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

John Chaney used to run his practices early in the a.m. at Temple, too, and he rarely had players who got out of line. And he got more out of his players than just about any coach I've ever seen. I'm guessing that's also not a coincidence.

The early practices were a de facto curfew because it was almost impossible for the players to keep up with the rigors of them unless they got a good rest the night before.

8. Baron Scicluna

One year, someone did a documentary on Mike Jarvis and St. John's. They had practices at 7:30 in the morning. One day, two of his scholarship players were late, and Jarvis asked one of his walkons what time he had gotten up in the morning to come to practice. The walkon was early, and Jarvis ripped on the scholarship guys for being late.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine played hockey for Providence when Lou Lamoriello was the HC. Players had an 11pm lights out curfew. Lou put the players in a dorm that faced his office where he could see whether or not lights were out. If Lou noticed lights on player would soon hear and knock on his door. As evidence of Ron Wilson and Brian Burke the rules had somewhat of a positive effect.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'm torn on it.

On one hand, 18-year old kids who are trained to be monsters can't possibly be trusted, so it's understandable to treat them like kids.

On the other hand, anytime your strict rules stand out among 120 Division IA coaches--most of whom are overbearing, micromanaging, paranoid, controlling nutjobs, then you're doing something crazy.

Quite frankly, they should be barred from being around each other after 10 p.m. I would rather my son be with his girlfriend after 10 p.m. than with his troublemaking guy friends.

And what about married players?

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If you're going to lay down rules like this, you have to do it from the start.

Start with the cell phones being taken away the day before a game. GaTech basketball turns in its cell phone for meals and road trips, which led to less distraction and a tighter-knit team that turned around its season and made the NCAA tournament.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/sep/24/jayhawks-adjusting-gills-phone-policy/?football

"Punter Alonso Rojas — who also followed a similar order his freshman year at Bowling Green — said he’s been able to avoid late-night texts, calls and requests for last-minute tickets."

About the women, that's a tougher call, but maybe one made with the same purpose.

"KU defensive end Jake Laptad has noticed on the night before games, teammates have spent more time talking to each other and hanging out in each other’s rooms."

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Terry Allen is really good guy, too. So is Woody Widenhofer.

Need a tough guy as a BCS football coach. Not an abusive tough guy (like Mangino was seen as).

Draft saved Draft deleted