1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FanDuel.com

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There was a story in the Wall Street Journal about one-day fantasy sites, which are completely legal and seemingly a pretty fun way to play fantasy.

I signed up for an account last week, and won my first two head-to-heads that I signed up for, but I'm wondering if anyone else has participated and what thoughts and, more importantly, advice other fantasy players might have? It seems like there's a lot of luck involved in one-day leagues, but surely there are ways to find value.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I use FanDuel and DraftStreet every week during NFL and college football season. Not as much during basketball and baseball seasons, but some.

I'm a big fan.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Maybe you and Dick Whitman can be best friends for life.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. I've used DraftStreet...It really is like legal sports gambling. It's so obvious that I wonder why no one thought of it long ago.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I have a difficult time believing somebody won $270,000 in one month on that site as the leaderboard indicates.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You won your first two? Wow, you should bet some serious money now.
    [​IMG]

Always figured this was where fantasy sports was heading. I figure the next level will be to post odds and take bets on the fantasy games.

7. JackReacher

You're 0-2, hoss.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I prefer MLB Beat the Streak. Pick up to two guys per day to get a hit, first one to get 57 guys in a row to do it (and beat diMaggio's streak) wins like $5 mil.

FanDuel seems like a lot of time for minimal return. Beat the Streak is minimal time for minimal return.

9. JackReacher

FanDuel doesn't take a lot of time. A few minutes to pick your team and that's it. And you'll actually win if you play FanDuel. You're not winning at Beat The Streak, although I do play that, too.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

For the record, I was not at all implying that I've got some skill as evidenced by the two wins. I was more or less saying that it felt like luck, which it was. But I like winning, and I was wondering if there were ways to actually win via skill.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

This site actually pays out its winners?

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm sure you can cut down the odds, at least, if you REALLY dive into it and analyze matchups. For a sport like baseball, especially, you can figure out which hitters hit which pitchers really well and use them, find guys on short-term hot streaks and figure out who's slumping and avoid them.
    Not sure all that effort is worth whatever the potential return is, though. If you're going that far you might as well just find a bookie and bet the games themselves.

Draft saved Draft deleted