1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

fanboy gets busted...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lesboulez, Jul 10, 2008.

1. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

fanboy gets in trouble for making up story, uses legit newsok template to try and pull of hoax...oops.

http://newsok.com/story-about-ou-qbs-drug-bust-a-hoax/article/3268074/?tm=1215656301

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

All he had to do was carbon AP with the fake link ... and our industry is a Matthew Broderick 80s movie without the happy ending.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

“I’m going to prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law,” said Kevin Jones, Landry’s father. “I’ve got deep enough pockets to do it.”

This doesn't bode well for the prankster. I hope Bradford and Jones take this guy to the cleaners.

If OU gets involved he'll wind up living in a van down by the river. I would assume the university can afford to out-lawyer this clown.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I'm not in any way condoning what this guy did, it was as wrong as wrong gets - especially for a 36-year-old.

But the radio stations who broadcast this as fact, what were they thinking? Wouldn't you think they'd try to verify it from another source before running with it?

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

That was exactly my thought, Rosie... after having my stuff stolen on a weekly basis from the competing radio station here in town, I can only hope something like this happens to it...

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Agreed. What I can't believe is a) they found it on a message board and ran with it. b) didn't check the newsok website. c) didn't call, oh, i don't know, a player, coach, the school, anyone.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Fanboy should get nailed financially so hard he's working in Wal-Mart just to get by for the rest of his life.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Fanboy seems to be up on all the latest journalism tools. When I get to be managing editor I think I'll hire him.

[Jessica_DaSilva]

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

In a related note, the CBS affiliate in St. Pete has contacted him about becoming a "Citizen Journalist."

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/58481/

11. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

In court, does this guy get to stand behind Amendment No. 1?
    And if so, is he hoping Daddy Warbucks isn't armed with Amendment No. 2?

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

In court, Amendment No. 1 doesn't excuse libel and/or defamation of character. What this guy did is clearly a false statement of fact that would be identified specifically with the two OU players; furthermore, this passes the actual malice test with room to spare: "a legal term which means the defendant knew his statement was false or recklessly disregarded the truth or falsity of his statement." Dude said himself that he wasn't thinking and "just wanted to get (OU fans) riled up, I guess."

Hopefully, this cornfed idiot will be sued to within an inch of his life by both players and The Oklahoman.

Tangent: Les, the official SportsJournalists.com style guide calls for the use of fanboi rather than fanboy. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted